Monitor Upgrade.

Associate
Not sure this is the correct part of the forum but it does say upgrade advice so here goes.

I have about £400 to spend on a new monitor.

Currently I am using a Dell Ultrasharp U2311H 23" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey

that is 6 years old now!.

I mainly use it for gaming and will be using a 970 initially to run it but will probably upgrade that to a 1070 when funds allow but I think that might be some time away just yet. Ideally I want something that is will work well with the 970 but will last me through to the 1070 when I do upgrade.

Associate
OP
Thanks Stulid.

Are there any good 27 inch panels like that if i could increase the budget to say £500?

I think the aoc is ideally for me but not sure if i should take this opertunity to step up the size?

Associate
OP
Just noticed that the 4k version of the same monitor is currently only £50 more :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-04c-ao.html

I suppose that would future proof me even more and I can still game at the normal 1440p resolutions.

Is that a good idea? whats it like gaming on a 4k screen? I would imagine I would notice a lot of difference from my current setup.

Will the 970 drive that ok for say the next 12 months or so? I mainly play wow currently so its no that taxing on the GFX card I dont think, but I do sometimes play the odd game of
heroes of the storm and overwatch.

Associate
OP
Ok,

So, having had a bit of a chat with the wife. I would appear that I can afford to spend a little bit more on my PC.

Currently I have the following:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz
XFX 750W Black Edition Modular Power Supply
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbs Black White Finish (KE-S32240-W)
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9) + which I added to the previous 2x4gig so now have 12gig (2x2 and 2x4)
Corsair Hydro H100i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060009-WW)

What would be the best way to spend around £600 on that system to improve it? given the above I am thinking perhaps 8 gig memory to take it to 16gig and a 1070 along with a new monitor? and perhaps if funds allow a new ssd??? fire way with recs please :)

Associate
OP
Is the 2500K overclocked?

It was clocked to run `out of the box` from overclockers at 4.4GHZ, I have never had a stable system running it at 4.4ghz even on the newer H100i (it was supplied originally with a cheap air cooler) I can get it to run at around the 4Ghz mark and it remains stable (when I say stable I actually never shut down my PC it runs 24/7) when I am gaming I can obviously hear the fans spin up more.

I have the same motherboard and cpu combo running 24/7 for pretty much 6 years but I have no issue with keeping it like that if the money is best spend elsewhere, obviously in the process of upgrading everything I will take it all apart give it a good clean out and put it back together.

Associate
OP
Understood. but I have been gaming at 1080p for the last 6 years and want to make the next step up. If I can build a nice Ryzen build in say 12 months or so then the items I get now will hopefully see me through at least until I build my next pc. I am somewhat reluctant to spend 130 quid on new ram if I am honest but if that carry over to a new build it might be an investment?

Associate
OP
Plec, thanks for your time.

If I could say add another 600 quid to the pot. What would be the decent ryzan bulid that you would recommend? given that I dont need a case or PSU?

Associate
OP
well the £600 notes would come from being able to tell the wife that I could actually get a working PC out of parts from what I use to upgrade the old one. I can put all of the parts new parts inside my current case so it even looks like it does currently she wont know any different. My 7 year old is already going on about the fact that she will need her own computer soon (I do tend to agree) and so that might score some points towards more cash my way.

I dont suppose a cheaper option right now is another 970 with my current motherboard and do the monitor upgrade now and then wait say 6 month and spend the 1200 on a complete new system?

Associate
OP
yeap, understood again mate. I suppose the issue I have is opportunities like this do not come around for me often. I spent about £1300 on my original build about 6 years ago and then I spent another £600 or so about 2 years ago. The wife knows I have needed a new pc for some time and she also knows I want a new monitor. It might be time to just admit I need like around 2k or so now to get the build I want and then I can at least say everything I have right now can be used as is for the daughter.

How would say you spend around 2k right now to get everything new? (I suppose my upper limit would be around the 2.3k mark, if that gives me a PC that will like the one I have now last me another 6 years I could afford to spend that little bit more)

Associate
OP
I could buy a really cheap case and the same would be true of the power supply because I can use my current ones at least for the new rig so anything cheap in that department would do. I have an old 60gb agility drive around somewhere which I could use to at least provide another working pc so that would mean I could reuse the SSD as well.

SO, I need new CPU, Memory, motherboard, GPU, monitor. and the other stuff that I can get cheap to replace what I will use for the main build with a budget of around 2.3k to include the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom