Monitor Upgrade.

Associate
Not sure this is the correct part of the forum but it does say upgrade advice so here goes.

I have about £400 to spend on a new monitor.

Currently I am using a Dell Ultrasharp U2311H 23" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey

that is 6 years old now!.

I mainly use it for gaming and will be using a 970 initially to run it but will probably upgrade that to a 1070 when funds allow but I think that might be some time away just yet. Ideally I want something that is will work well with the 970 but will last me through to the 1070 when I do upgrade.

Associate
OP
Thanks Stulid.

Are there any good 27 inch panels like that if i could increase the budget to say £500?

I think the aoc is ideally for me but not sure if i should take this opertunity to step up the size?

Associate
OP
Just noticed that the 4k version of the same monitor is currently only £50 more :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-04c-ao.html

I suppose that would future proof me even more and I can still game at the normal 1440p resolutions.

Is that a good idea? whats it like gaming on a 4k screen? I would imagine I would notice a lot of difference from my current setup.

Will the 970 drive that ok for say the next 12 months or so? I mainly play wow currently so its no that taxing on the GFX card I dont think, but I do sometimes play the odd game of
heroes of the storm and overwatch.

Caporegime
I have not used a 4K screen.

But A single GTX970 is going to struggle, Gsync will help smooth the frame rate etc, but that is a lot of pixels for it to push around.

Luckily as you said the games you are playing dont look the most advanced GFX wise.

Soldato
With a GTX 970 you are looking at med to high settings and it will struggle a bit with a 4k screen. Even a 1070 is not ideal and IMHO 1440p on a 4k screen looks awful. You would be better off going for the IPS one in #4.

To be honest I dont see the point in going for a 4k screen unless you have a decent graphics card and are going to use it at its full potential and you are looking at 1080 or a 1080ti.

I was okayish with a 980ti (which is about a 1070) but I am glad I went back to a 1440p.

Associate
OP
Ok,

So, having had a bit of a chat with the wife. I would appear that I can afford to spend a little bit more on my PC.

Currently I have the following:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz
XFX 750W Black Edition Modular Power Supply
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbs Black White Finish (KE-S32240-W)
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9) + which I added to the previous 2x4gig so now have 12gig (2x2 and 2x4)
Corsair Hydro H100i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060009-WW)

What would be the best way to spend around £600 on that system to improve it? given the above I am thinking perhaps 8 gig memory to take it to 16gig and a 1070 along with a new monitor? and perhaps if funds allow a new ssd??? fire way with recs please :)

Associate
OP
Is the 2500K overclocked?

It was clocked to run `out of the box` from overclockers at 4.4GHZ, I have never had a stable system running it at 4.4ghz even on the newer H100i (it was supplied originally with a cheap air cooler) I can get it to run at around the 4Ghz mark and it remains stable (when I say stable I actually never shut down my PC it runs 24/7) when I am gaming I can obviously hear the fans spin up more.

I have the same motherboard and cpu combo running 24/7 for pretty much 6 years but I have no issue with keeping it like that if the money is best spend elsewhere, obviously in the process of upgrading everything I will take it all apart give it a good clean out and put it back together.

Soldato
How have you clocked the CPU BIOS or software?

And is that £600 for the gfx/memory/ssd and monitor - or is there a separate budget for the monitor?

Soldato
You had a considerable budget for few components - so opted for a quality 27" monitor as this seems to be the size you were favouring in previous posts.

I also added 2 x 8Gb of memory as you 'should' defiantly be able to retain your clock with just 2 sticks - as 4 sticks can add complications to existing clocks (plus i think we maybe able to get your clock higher - no guarantees).

I haven't added an SSD - unless you were after a larger model?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,090.67
(includes shipping: £11.70)

I will add that if you didn't upgrade your monitor/memory - you would have the funds for a quality Ryzen build.​

Associate
OP
Understood. but I have been gaming at 1080p for the last 6 years and want to make the next step up. If I can build a nice Ryzen build in say 12 months or so then the items I get now will hopefully see me through at least until I build my next pc. I am somewhat reluctant to spend 130 quid on new ram if I am honest but if that carry over to a new build it might be an investment?

Soldato
Understood. but I have been gaming at 1080p for the last 6 years and want to make the next step up. If I can build a nice Ryzen build in say 12 months or so then the items I get now will hopefully see me through at least until I build my next pc.
Totally valid - and decent monitor upgrade is a great new toy - was making you aware just in case.

I am somewhat reluctant to spend 130 quid on new ram if I am honest but if that carry over to a new build it might be an investment?

No it wont transfer - Ryzen uses DDR4. So i would get another 2 x 4Gb and hope your clock holds - it should.

Associate
OP
Plec, thanks for your time.

If I could say add another 600 quid to the pot. What would be the decent ryzan bulid that you would recommend? given that I dont need a case or PSU?

Soldato
I've added 3200MHz memory as i've got 2 sets of this memory running at 3000MHz and I'm hopeful of hitting 3200MHz with tweaks (especially with future BIOS updates) - can't guarantee yours will - but you can change this to Team Group 3000MHz memory at only £120.

Below is a guide - and is well below your £1800 budget (1200 + your additional £600 you suddenly found :)). So you could add another SSD or even Ryzen 1700 - but if this is a gaming rig Ryzen 1600 is the bang for buck.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,426.55
(includes shipping: £12.60)

Back
Top Bottom