Monthly eye test again and a change

Soldato
Yesterday was my monthly eye test.

After going through the tests I got to Eye Doc and she said I have looked at your history and there hasn't been any change for 9 months - I am not sure if you do have Wet macular Degeneration.

Great - so all those injections were in vain.

I have my own theory. I am allergic to washing liquid we used and we used to put tea towels etc on a indoor dryer in computer room here - I am sure this is what used to give me violent sneezing bouts.

It was 10-12 at a time and it bent me double so perhaps that is what burst the blood vessel and at the moment there is no degeneration there -just a burst due to pressure of sneezing.

Good news but bad news -I will never get my right eye back as it was but hopefully it won't get any worse.

That's life.

Soldato
OP
With WMD there is no cure - all they do is give you an injection in the eye to harden blood vessels so it doesn't get worse.

They send for me every month for check up -

Soldato
OP
Back to hospital today for another check - - Got to the eye Doc and she (nice ) said I don't think we will give you another injection. I said do you mean I came all this way and no injection - I was looking forward to it.
She looked at me and then smiled as she saw me smile under the mask.
So no change yet but it won't get better due to scar tissue inside the eye.

8.15 this appointment - It's been 21 years since I have drove through rush hour traffic - Certainly don't miss that.

had to pay for the car park and there was a queue waiting for ticket machine - everyone was bent forward trying to see the keypad then faffing about -kicking the machine then stamp off - I did the same - came to put my money in -no slot - looked again and it's card only - tried that and time out - so I stomped off-
How do they expect people who have had drops in their eyes read keypads where the paint has worn off the letters and numbers :rolleyes:

Did go to one in the carpark and followed a fit bird in tight jeans - we old folk missed the button to tell it to swipe card. :)

Man of Honour
I hate paid car parks - they all seem to try and out do each other for making it as difficult for you to pay as possible while demanding you pay to park there.

Soldato
OP
No thanks, Geoff.

I'll take a drive to Barnard Castle instead.

Thats what I said but when your eyes go you will try anything to see if you can get it back - I have said before that I would have a eye injection before a dentist injection.
It wasn't a big butt - I can't stand them - it was nice and neat with a bit of meat. :)

Soldato
OP
Bit of an update-

Went to hospital Tuesday for monthly check up and as last time there is still no change - So from the first time I went till now the right eye hasn't changed and left eye was slightly better but I put that down to trying too hard to read lines that were blurred on lit up screen of letters.
So I have not had an injections since last July which I am pleased about but even so not having centre sight in right eye makes doing jobs a right PITA - silly things like putting screwdriver tip in screw head - It always goes just to side of screw -Shut the right eye and it's ok - or put my fingers each side of screw and put screwdriver between fingers. This only happens on close up stuff - Just looking out of the window looks normal untill you shut left eye and the centre becomes blurred -
You do get used to it and make changes in how you do things - Got new reading glasses which are slightly more powerfull than the pair I use on PC and I also need the light behind me if reading a book.
Also got a pair of those flip up sunglass's for slightest bit of sun and that makes a difference when driving. They haven't told me I should stop driving yet
If I am pottering around the garden I now wear a old pair of driving glasses that are transition and they stop the glare

All in all a PITA - so as I have said before check your eyes on a regular basis and if you think they are not like they used to be get yourself up to the opticians who can send you to the eye hospital if they find something nasty.

Protect your eyes :)

Associate
so Wet AMD = no cure. Injections are anti-VEGF to reduce blood vessel growth from the choroid into the overlying retinal layers as well as reducing fluid in the intra and sub retinal layers. Not having needed injections is a good thing because it means there is no fluid present and it's stable. A consultant would know if you had or hadn't got Wet AMD - you would have had a battery of tests including OCT, fluorescein angiography and ICG angiography which would have all pointed to what you have.
in terms of things you can do/risk factors:
stop smoking
wear sunnies
eat green leafy vegetables (kale and spinach) - increase your source of Lutein and Xeazanthin.

Regular sight tests are advised even when you feel vision is good due to a lot of conditions being picked up during a sight test (not just AMD).

Soldato
OP
Had my 2 monthly eye test today and not good -Got a bit of hemourging again so she said we are going to give you an injection - Just what I didn't want - still if it helps all well and good.
I have to say I didn't notice anything different but camera picked it up.
It's burning and a bit sore at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom