More than one network card

Associate
Hi Guys,
I need to build 2 servers exactly the same spec to handle large file sharing service for up to 10 clients.

1 Server will be used as the main server accessed throughout the day by everyone, pulling files back and fourth.

The second server will only be used overnight to create a backup of everything on the main server.

My question is, is it possible to install more than one network card into each machine to try and speed everything up.

We are running a full gigabyte network with as i said around 10 clients.

Hope you guys can help
ace

Soldato
Gigabit is likely more bandwidth that the discs have, so I'm not sure you'd achieve much.

It is possible to 'team' some more expensive dedicated NICs.

Soldato
Yes, If you have a managed switch, you can trunk connections together. You do need to use NICs that support the feature though, the Intel Pro/1000 range are a good place to start.

Alternatively, just use a smarter backup system, by doing incrimental backups that just update the changes made instead of a full copy you dramatically reduce the amount of time it will take.

Last edited:

wij

wij

Associate
If you're using Linux as the server OS I am fairly sure you can do incremental backups with RSync.

wij

wij

Associate
Whatever NIC's you are putting in the servers will need to support teaming if you want to aggregate them into one link.

Not too sure about the Dell switches either, IIRC they are re-branded Netgear ones?

wij

wij

Associate
Any of the managed L3 HP ones should do this if you've got compatible NICs (e.g. Intel ones) probably looking at the 2910al series and above so not cheap.

Or Cisco 2960 series also do link aggregation / Cisco Etherchannel but again for a 24 port GigE model you will be looking at £1200 or circa £3000 for a 48 port.

Back
Top Bottom