Mortgage Rate Rises

The trouble is, money has been so cheap over the past decade at near zero interest rates, some people have taken out as much as they can mortgage wise and outbid others on houses, pushing up prices, others have seen how reckless that is and not brought, I don't think that it is really fair for those that have over leveraged them self's to be bailed out because of they're financial decision, when many others who could have taken out a huge mortgage have not as they have done they're own research and realised that when interest rates go up they wouldn't be able to afford such a huge mortgage and brought something cheaper and been sensible.

The housing market doest not need any more prop up schemes to distort it any further, we have had enough of those through out the years. People need to be held responsible and accountable for their own financial decisions in life.
The increase in rates I referred to in my post is for a <60% LTV mortgage - these are massive increases not only for those that have ‘stretched their budgets’, but also for basically anyone that has bought a house in the last 2-3 years using a mortgage.

There has been very little financial incentive for any person to rent unless you’re doing so for flexibility (e.g. life circumstances).

Expect the interest rates to eventually hit renters too, as landlords put their rents up.

What are people thinking worst case for a 60% LTV is going to look like over the next year? I hear talk of "6%" but is that a headline figure based around the worst case aka 90% LTV etc? Yes I should do my own research. This is part of it :p
personally i think were gonna be seeing 6-7% before the tax year is out.

I gave a few friends a similar warning when it looked like 5% before xmas, they decided not to eat a 1% erc fee and will now be looking for a mortgage next year when their 5yr fix ends.

will likely be historic lows to historic highs in the space of a month for them :(

Damn. I'll always check the ercs from now. Anything that doesn't end with 1 percent at the last year I'm avoiding. But you don't really think about it under normal circumstances
santander used to do a declining % like most banks 5 year fix starts at 5% erc, then drops 1% a year.

last time I spoke to them or was s flat 5%off you paid before the fix ended. We wrangled our 10% whilst fixed then dumped another just after we went over to standard var.

they've since put us upto 5%!

This is really a too big to fail scenario. Can the government somehow prop up the mortgages of homeowners so they don't have to pay high interest rates?

Compared to the energy crisis it seems many times worse.

Why should they? What about the people who have been cautious about what they do. I don't want to be paying off other peoples mortgage with my tax because they have over stretched themselves.

Absolutely nothing will be learnt if the government bails everyone out and will continue the same till it happens again 10-15 years from now.

Last edited:
Why should they? What about the people who have been cautious about what they do. I don't want to be paying off other peoples mortgage with my tax because they have over stretched themselves.
Absolutely. We borrowed about 40% of what we were offered, because we wanted to have enough of a buffer should the proverbial hit the fan. I know many others who have borrowed the full amount and overstretched in order to get into their dream home.

Absolutely. We borrowed about 40% of what we were offered, because we wanted to have enough of a buffer should the proverbial hit the fan. I know many others who have borrowed the full amount and overstretched in order to get into their dream home.
That depends on where u live…

Good luck borrowing only 40% in london for any property lol

That depends on where u live…

Good luck borrowing only 40% in london for any property lol

Yes but nothing gives you a god given right to purchase property in London. If you cannot afford it (I certainly cannot for what house I have here) then you either put up with renting or you find somewhere else to live.

You have millions of people all over the world come here for a better life. Would they rather live in their home country? More than likely yes but they made that decision to better their life by coming here.

Last edited:
Yes but nothing gives you a god given right to purchase property in London. If you cannot afford it (I certainly cannot for what house I have here) then you either put up with renting or you find somewhere else to live.

You have millions of people all over the world come here for a better life. Would they rather live in their home country? More than likely yes but they made that decision to better their life by coming here.

I agree with that too. If you have to over leverage to get on the ladder you need to look elsewhere.

That's all good and said, but house prices have gone up what, 10 percent in the last year? What percentage the year before? I have plenty friends that can't afford even a 2 bed terrace as the value goes up quicker than they can save.

If things had stayed as they were, when they did finally get on the market, it'll be a small place and to afford it they will be getting the max they could borrow.

God knows now whatll happen. If a house increases in value by £40k in a year, that's what, £4k extra required deposit? All the while energy bills are way higher than last year, once mortgages rise due to interest rates, so will rent, so they save less each month. Inflation causes food, fuel etc to be higher.

When they can finally buy, you're saying they should get an offer of say £300k, and then only purchase at £250k? Which gets you sod all.

I'm not sure how easy these are to get, but I can see an issue with many home owners going to interest only mortgages for a while

Government wont bail out mortgages. It wouldn't be fair. Many of the poorest will never have a mortgage. It's like the nasty tax cuts for the rich. But a few rungs down the wealth scale.

In a couple of years prices will be down.
I was always against the stamp duty break. It has exacerbated the issue today. If prices hadn't climbed 20pc forcing new buyers to pay 20pc maybe mortgage debt wouldn't be so ridiculous. And thus these rises and now falls wouldn't be so dramatic and life changing.

We switched rate with HSBC last night - 75% LTV 5 year fix 3.92%. This morning that same product is 5.34%! HSBC have ramped everything up by 1.5-2%.

A standard 2 year fix at 90% for a first time buyer with HSBC is 6.24%. When we bought 20 months ago it was 2.69%.

:eek:

Last edited:
We switched rate with HSBC last night - 75% LTV 5 year fix 3.92%. This morning that same product is 5.34%! HSBC have ramped everything up by 1.5-2%.

A standard 2 year fix at 90% for a first time buyer with HSBC is 6.24%. When we bought 20 months ago it was 2.69%.

:eek:

You literally switched last night? By that you mean you started and ended the process in a day?

If so. You're damn lucky! Probably saved yourself 1000s?

You literally switched last night? By that you mean you started and ended the process in a day?

If so. You're damn lucky! Probably saved yourself 1000s?
Moving to a new deal with HSBC as an existing customer is a relatively trivial process - all done online via an automated process without any credit checks or assessments. It took a grand total of about 15 minutes. If you're changing the length of the mortgage, borrowing more or seeking advice from an advisor it becomes more complex, but all we wanted to do was move onto a new fix.

I called HSBC this morning to double check that it went through. Thankfully it did!

After checking through comparison websites last night it was obvious that the deals offered by HSBC were actually some of the best on the market anyway, so it made no sense re-mortgaging with another lender.

Last edited:
Moving to a new deal with HSBC as an existing customer is a relatively trivial process - all done online via an automated process without any credit checks or assessments. If you're changing the length of the mortgage, borrowing or seeking advice from an advisor it becomes more complex, but all we wanted to do was move onto a new fix.

I called HSBC this morning to double check that it went through. Thankfully it did!

Ha yes. I was going to do that with tsb. But I was the opposite. The day I went to do it they upped the rate so went elsewhere.

What a difference a day makes.

Why should they? What about the people who have been cautious about what they do.
Some youngsters literally won't have known anything apart from low rates since 2008. For them it has been the way of the world, much like high housing costs. But where do you draw the line, is being cautious budgeting up to 3%... 6%? Or 10% or even 25% interest rates?! Who the hell knows. Recent events have simply shown that houses are too expensive across the board compared to incomes (as is rent), successive governments have done nothing but drive this inflation and now we will suffer the consequences.
If you cannot afford it (I certainly cannot for what house I have here) then you either put up with renting or you find somewhere else to live.
And what happens when everyone moves to a "cheap" town. Derr it becomes expensive. Exactly what is happening up north in Manchester etc. Prices there have been rising faster than London for ages. Also, have you tried looking at any commuter towns around London <1hr on the train. Prices have been going up faster than houses within London proper in the last few years. People would rather save a bit longer, take on a bigger mortgage, or pay more rent to live in London because the alternative is to pay more to train companies for which you get absolutely nothing in return. (I did that for a while, it's hideous) If you have two earners/commuters in your household you could be looking at £10k/yr+ to get the train into London, it's jokes.

Moving to a new deal with HSBC as an existing customer is a relatively trivial process - all done online via an automated process without any credit checks or assessments. It took a grand total of about 15 minutes. If you're changing the length of the mortgage, borrowing more or seeking advice from an advisor it becomes more complex, but all we wanted to do was move onto a new fix.

After checking through comparison websites last night it was obvious that the deals offered by HSBC were actually some of the best on the market anyway, so it made no sense re-mortgaging with another lender.
Exactly what I did.

Plus, we were being offered <60% LTV rates to remortgage with HSBC when technically we were at about 62%. So we wouldn’t have got the <60% rates with anyone else.

I posted earlier this morning re: today’s HSBC increases - quite shocking :eek:

Back
Top Bottom