Mortgage Rate Rises

You've cherry picked what I've said to suit your own agenda.

No one is making Londoners take out 90% mortgages, and no one is making them do it whilst living hand to mouth to attain it. Covid has proven than the majority of jobs can be done remotely, and if they're in a job that won't allow it, find one that does. There are lots of choices for everyone, cementing yourself into one of the most expensive places in the country to live is your doing, no one else's. That's my whole point which is what people seem to be missing.

Nobody was expecting interest rates to go from sub 1% to 6% in a year (which looks likely) and I've not seen any evidence of any forecasting this level of rate rise a year ago! We took on a significant mortgage in January and the banks sure as hell were not stress testing people up to 6% interest rates.
If you got one in January then I hope you fixed for a long time. Also, I don't think there were any sub 1% mortgages available unless on some legacy tracker.

UK has been riding the low interest gravy train for quite some time. Covid should have been a big warning flag to people and we've been heading into a recession ever since. The clowns in charge of the Tories

Yeah I guess the turmoil has left lenders having to price in these potentially sky rocketing rates. Just shows lack of confidence lenders have.
If average rates do hit 6 in coming days that's a 4pc rise in under 6 months.

It really is unbelievable. 7pc rates being talked about.
That's basically saying "we don't want new customers.. But if you're willing to pay through the nose.. We will take you".

As expected, truss and Kwasi won't back down. I wonder whats going to snap first?

Last edited:
Yeah I guess the turmoil has left lenders having to price in these potentially sky rocketing rates. Just shows lack of confidence lenders have.

That's basically saying "we don't want new customers.. But if you're willing to pay through the nose.. We will take you".

As expected, truss and Kwasi won't back down. I wonder whats going to snap first?
I think it's more saying "we don't want anything right now, until dust settles" so they're probably pricing high in the hopes that'll be enough to put people off and or cover the future raise in base rate.

Feeling extraordinarily smug - our mortgage rate ends this month but started to get the new rate sorted a few months back as we were borrowing more money.

Managed to get a 5 year fix for 2.59% on one half of our mortgage... which is in stark contrast to the .99% 5 year fix I got for the other half this time last year!! :eek:

The trouble at the minute is a lot of the big players have pulled all their decent products from the market leaving loads of smaller banks and BS top of the comparison lists and they don't want and can't handle the volume of application likely to be thrown at them as people panic, the easiest way for them to reduce application numbers is to up the rates so they fall down the comparison charts I bet they are all still offering better rates to existing customers. We need calm back in the market and the big players to re-enter with offers a lot of which will depend on wat the BofE do and they are clearly very reluctant to call an emergency meeting and push up the rate before the next monthly meeting.

Back
Top Bottom