Mortgage Rate Rises

Associate
My current mortgage runs out 1st week of July so I've been taking a look... currently looking at a Barclays 5yr tracker @ 4.1% with £499 fees.. overpayments are unlimited and there is no ERC.
Does that mean in theory I could bail out early and remortgage elsewhere should I wish within that 5 year period ?

Hoping to get 10% more of the mortgage paid off by July.

It can't hurt to get an offer on the table now and then re-evaluate nearer the time.

Soldato
My current mortgage runs out 1st week of July so I've been taking a look... currently looking at a Barclays 5yr tracker @ 4.1% with £499 fees.. overpayments are unlimited and there is no ERC.
Does that mean in theory I could bail out early and remortgage elsewhere should I wish within that 5 year period ?

Hoping to get 10% more of the mortgage paid off by July.

It can't hurt to get an offer on the table now and then re-evaluate nearer the time.

As long as the small print says no ERC then yeah, you can bail whenever.

The main thing to be wary for is that there could be more imminent/immediate interest rate hikes, and those will also hit your rate immediately, though not as if the fixed rates are that great right now either.

Associate
As long as the small print says no ERC then yeah, you can bail whenever.

The main thing to be wary for is that there could be more imminent/immediate interest rate hikes, and those will also hit your rate immediately, though not as if the fixed rates are that great right now either.
Thanks for that..
I'm kinda assuming BOE will put rates up at least another 1% this year but we'll see I guess.

Soldato
Not many other places you can guarantee 7pc return

Well, it works out at 3.8% over the year. There are better savings rates, but that means you need the 3.6k to put in now in one go, rather than the ability to drip feed it in. So yea, it's currently the best of that type of account.

Last edited:
Well, it works out at 3.8% over the year. There are better savings rates, but that means you need the 3.6k to put in now in one go, rather than the ability to drip feed it in. So yea, it's currently the best of that type of account.
the 3600 will also earn basically half the headline rate somewhere else though

eg if he has the 3600 now in a 3% account he can in effect average the two rates and achieve that

Permabanned
It's pointless putting in such low amounts of money into a savings account. It's gonna cost you more in time just filling out the application form.

Soldato
the 3600 will also earn basically half the headline rate somewhere else though

eg if he has the 3600 now in a 3% account he can in effect average the two rates and achieve that

True, but I was working on the assumption the £300 was put in from monthly pay, rather than being transfered from another account.

It's pointless putting in such low amounts of money into a savings account. It's gonna cost you more in time just filling out the application form.

15 mins to open the account online and set up a S/O, with 136.50 as the payout. That's what, £546 / hr, you're on a good hourly rate :p

Permabanned
15 mins to open the account online and set up a S/O, with 136.50 as the payout. That's what, £546 / hr, you're on a good hourly rate :p

Taking real inflation into account which we all know is well about the official rate, circa 25%, you're actually gonna lose money inside that 12 months anyway.

Soldato
Stop being a moron with your comments so far. Just cause you want to be a douche and that because you want to make out you have monies when others don't. Just get off the soap box.

Back
Top Bottom