Mortgage Rate Rises

Permabanned
Might be the wrong place but it's mortgage related.
Does anyone know if you are on a shared leasehold mortgage, one of those shared to buy ones are you allowed to buy another house, freehold mortgage?

I know you can't buy a leasehold if you already have a freehold but not sure about the other way round.
It's a complicated situation which I won't go into but if anyone had a answer that would help

It depends on the rules with the HA or council, if you want to buy another house.

But no you can't by a freehold if you have share ownership, it is design to be impossible.

Shared ownership might sound good, but there are too many expenses, specially the percentage of rent increase linked to CPI or rpi. From what I been told the min will be 0. It can never fall below 0.

If you fall behind in rent for 8 weeks, you can get booted out and in theory you could lose your equity.
I was reading a story a few years ago where this woman lost her job and she was booted out of her shared property.

Any don't worry asset management companies and other financial companies will such up any repos in this country, then rent it back out.

Lol, 30 billion hitting the property market, this is just one company. Those that can't afford their mortgages will be giving it away to these guys.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow. So Barclays have upper the 5 year fix to 4.30% with no product fee

My offer going through with them is 3.95% pending completion in July. That does doesn't look good for another drop before I complete then. Searched 2 months ago and applied ,. Went from 4.15%. Down to 3.95% which I have the offer for now it's back at 4.30%

What's changed in the last week? not been keeping up with the BoE news

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wow. So Barclays have upper the 5 year fix to 4.30% with no product fee

My offer going through with them is 3.95% pending completion in July. That does doesn't look good for another drop before I complete then. Searched 2 months ago and applied ,. Went from 4.15%. Down to 3.95% which I have the offer for now it's back at 4.30%

What's changed in the last week? not been keeping up with the BoE news

The last figures were a surprise.
Inflation is sticky and ended up at above 10pc

Many (including myself) were expecting a 9pc band inflation figure. Which would have been a strong indicator rates were peaking and coming down. Now there could be even more rises.

Also I think swap rates have deteriorated.

Soldato
The last figures were a surprise.
Inflation is sticky and ended up at above 10pc

Many (including myself) were expecting a 9pc band inflation figure. Which would have been a strong indicator rates were peaking and coming down. Now there could be even more rises.

Also I think swap rates have deteriorated.

So no chance of any drops before I start this then :(

Fun volatile times. I don't feel i can do anything else but sit on the 3.95 offer now.

No one even knows if this would go down to rates below 2.5 % in a year or two time or what ever

I hate banks

Last edited:
Caporegime
So no chance of any drops before I start this then :(

Fun volatile times. I don't feel i can do anything else but sit on the 3.95 offer now.

No one even knows if this would go down to rates below 2.5 % in a year or two time or what ever

I hate banks

Yeah when those figures came out I think the sub 4s are going to be best fixes this year.
Maybe later in the year might get a bit lower. But nothing that's going to make you regret.

Maybe next year might be seeing 2.9. But it's so far away. Who knows what putin might do for example.

Not sure what I'd do if I was needing to commit now. Probably a 2 year fix. But it's a tough call

Soldato
Yeah when those figures came out I think the sub 4s are going to be best fixes this year.
Maybe later in the year might get a bit lower. But nothing that's going to make you regret.

Maybe next year might be seeing 2.9. But it's so far away. Who knows what putin might do for example.

Not sure what I'd do if I was needing to commit now. Probably a 2 year fix. But it's a tough call
Yep probably. And now they put them up again they will be super super slow coming down .just like the fuel

I don't know why I chose a 5 year fix, I spent so long deciding against tracker, 2,3,5 year fixes I had to make a choice. Partly done 5 because I can't see it coming down a decent amount for a time and I just didn't know what would happen In 2
Meh

Last edited:
Yep probably. And now they put them up again they will be super super slow coming down .just like the fuel

I don't know why I chose a 5 year fix, I spent so long deciding against tracker, 2,3,5 year fixes I had to make a choice. Partly done 5 because I can't see it coming down a decent amount for a time and I just didn't know what would happen In 2
Meh
It's a good choice. Stability is not a bad thing when it comes to a mortgage.

Associate

Meh
I'm going to go 5 aswell as it's so hard to predict anything at the moment and the way things are in the world these days I think it's best to play it safe.

Associate
Still unsure whether I should take a 2 or 5 year fix, inclined to go with the latter as a safer option but might wait until close to the end of my current term (August)

Soldato
OP
The world looks like it's gearing up for a massive war. I've no idea how this whole China/Taiwan thing is going to go, nor Russia, N. Korea or any other country who's getting a bit bored. Something is coming, I'm sure we can all feel it in the water.

What that means for fixing for 2yrs or 5yrs is any ones guess, but at least you know what you'll be paying without the worry.

Soldato
Why wouldn't you fix at 0.84 when you had the chance?

I never had the chance. When my fixed rate ended several years ago i was put on the Lifetime Tracker, Variable interest rate at 0.84% - which i was very happy with!

Due to rate rises, i have seen my rate raise quite rapidly.

I'm now at the stage that a bank loan is available at 4.8% - i am considering getting a loan to pay off the mortgage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still unsure whether I should take a 2 or 5 year fix, inclined to go with the latter as a safer option but might wait until close to the end of my current term (August)
I assume you have already secured an offer at a good rate for your renewal in August just in case rates rise like they seem to be? You can always get a new offer if rates drop between now and then.

Soldato
Are loans still available at that rate? I had an email yesterday from either Barclays or Tesco (can't remember) offering bank loans at ~8.5%

Yes:

£7.5k - £15k @ 4.8% with HSBC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom