Mortgage Rate Rises

Man of Honour
Ok, hear me out.

Our mortgage rate is due to increase from the current tiny 1% to whatever NatWests 2 years fixed will be. 5% or the like. Monthly payment goes up about £500-600.

Our main house is only used while we work, we’ll sell up when we retire, there’s easily half a million cash in it. 30% mortgage or so, a bit less I think.

Our holiday home is mortgage free and where we’d eventually retire to.

Eventually, probably not too far away, I stand to inherit a lot of money that pays the mortgage many times over, even if I don’t, I wouldn’t struggle to pay it off down the line.

So with that in mind I’m really tempted to extend the mortgage term so that we don’t end up any worse off month to month while we’re young and can enjoy life. I’m crazy right?

Probably no pay rise this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
So with that in mind I’m really tempted to extend the mortgage term so that we don’t end up any worse off month to month while we’re young and can enjoy life. I’m crazy right?

Na, whack it out. I've done a similar thing - basis I am young/expecting further progression (no major windfalls unfortunately :().

Associate

Not crazy. Re-maximising your mortgage & mortgage term constantly as you move throughout life, whilst simultaneously doing other things like investing, growing you pension etc, can actually be financially sound & leave you better off.

Soldato
I was thinking the same thing. Just got on the ladder 3/4 years ago on a 30 year term. When we remortgage, I'll probably ask for another 30 year term to minimize the monthly payment increases but still over pay as much as I can during that term.
Only issue is that a 30 year term does take me into my 70s :O so not sure banks will approve of it?

Associate
I was thinking the same thing. Just got on the ladder 3/4 years ago on a 30 year term. When we remortgage, I'll probably ask for another 30 year term to minimize the monthly payment increases but still over pay as much as I can during that term.
Only issue is that a 30 year term does take me into my 70s :O so not sure banks will approve of it?
I was told that the maximum term I could get without a further credit check was until the age of 70

Caporegime
Ok, hear me out.

Our mortgage rate is due to increase from the current tiny 1% to whatever NatWests 2 years fixed will be. 5% or the like. Monthly payment goes up about £500-600.

Our main house is only used while we work, we’ll sell up when we retire, there’s easily half a million cash in it. 30% mortgage or so, a bit less I think.

Our holiday home is mortgage free and where we’d eventually retire to.

Eventually, probably not too far away, I stand to inherit a lot of money that pays the mortgage many times over, even if I don’t, I wouldn’t struggle to pay it off down the line.

Yeah I don't believe in crippling yourself when you're young just to be "mortgage free" myself.

Soldato
I was told that the maximum term I could get without a further credit check was until the age of 70
^ this

I was told I can go way further but without any further paperwork, 70 was max age.

Caporegime
Yeah I don't believe in crippling yourself when you're young just to be "mortgage free" myself.

So many variables though.

If you add up the interest you end up paying during your life having a long mortgage the whole time, its likely eye watering. I mean even people with fairly average or modest mortages are now looking at likely over £10k going *poof* every year just in interest.

Its a tricky one and i can see the argument for both sets of thinking.

Last edited:
Caporegime

If you add up the interest you end up paying during your life having a long mortgage the whole time, its likely eye watering. I mean even people with fairly average or modest mortages are now looking at likely over £10k going *poof* every year just in interest.

Too much chance of dying young or not having the health to do anything when you're old.

Worst for me would be to either get news of a terminal disease or becomes paralysed or something just as you retire but you've done nothing as all you've done is invest and save

Soldato
Too much chance of dying young or not having the health to do anything when you're old.

Worst for me would be to either get news of a terminal disease or becomes paralysed or something just as you retire but you've done nothing as all you've done is invest and save

Yup.

You gotta have balance, I mean going to other way isn't a good idea either, blow all your money take up drugs and drinking hard, or whatever.

But the opposite is equally as bad, it's about balance.

Steve Tyler sang it on one of Aerosmith's song - "lifes a journey, not a destination"

Caporegime
Yup.

You gotta have balance, I mean going to other way isn't a good idea either, blow all your money take up drugs and drinking hard, or whatever.

But the opposite is equally as bad, it's about balance.

Steve Tyler sang it on one of Aerosmith's song - "lifes a journey, not a destination"

For sure.
Before I was "save save save".
But having seen someone pass away suddenly not long into retirement, and the prevalence increasing in that sort of thing I've switched to a more balanced approach.

I also want to keep my mortgage payments the same. If that means extending.. So be it.

Associate

Had this with parents and in laws. Parents always rented and became council renters, yes they did struggle at times but went to Germany and America (family out there) both lived past 90 with the minds intact. In laws had owned outright from early on in their marriage but after in law spent most of the income on ciggies and tools. Never really went anywhere. Father in law died just before 9/11 aged 70 and mother in law at 84 after getting dementia.

Caporegime
Had this with parents and in laws. Parents always rented and became council renters, yes they did struggle at times but went to Germany and America (family out there) both lived past 90 with the minds intact. In laws had owned outright from early on in their marriage but after in law spent most of the income on ciggies and tools. Never really went anywhere. Father in law died just before 9/11 aged 70 and mother in law at 84 after getting dementia.

My partners mum past away last year at 67. First death I've really experienced in that generation.

I distinctly remember her dad saying "we had all these plans".
They were quite well Off and it came out of the blue. Ie no time to make most of what's left.

Man of Honour

I guess this is the only thing in the back of my mind. Then again, it’s kind of moot by the time I’m later in life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom