Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
OP
The world looks like it's gearing up for a massive war. I've no idea how this whole China/Taiwan thing is going to go, nor Russia, N. Korea or any other country who's getting a bit bored. Something is coming, I'm sure we can all feel it in the water.

What that means for fixing for 2yrs or 5yrs is any ones guess, but at least you know what you'll be paying without the worry.

Soldato
OP
If you rent all your life, what happens when you retire? Does your pension have to cover your rent payments :confused: with the way things are going, how can you afford to eat?

Soldato
OP
I listened to a bit of the MPC meeting. Sounded grim. Hope inflation will come down over next 2+years. But a lot remains unknown.

Looks like the projections are optimistic and there's no chance of it being better. But moderate chance of it being worse.

Best guess looked like 2-3pc by 2025ish on the graph

I think if you locked in at 3. anything, or even low 4. you are doing ok

Noticed there are a lot of southern folk moving more north, can't say I blame them

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What's happening in the market now? Fuel is going down in price, hopefully food , any news on mortgage rates ?or BoE apologising ?

Same as before, nobody knows. Nobody..... and if they tell you otherwise they're talking out their backsides.

I read an article only last week from experts saying they all thought with a high degree of confidence the base rate would stay where it is for quite a while, maybe go up a little more, but won't be coming down for a few years. Then just yesterday I was reading about the US debt hitting its ceiling which would trigger a UK rate decrease :cry:

There's so many different things going on around the world that anyone of them could swing it one way or the other.

If you are talking stock market, again, someone said to me go all in on UK FTSE100 but I take everything these days with a massive pinch of salt. Money under the bed I'm thinking.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
^ Yeah paying £999 fee to get a tiny bit lower rate does not make sense. The lower rate won't pay back that £999 fee over the term as you'd be wanting to take a new deal after the 24 months anyway.

Soldato
OP
It’s 2025, post war Britain is a grim place. Your bank’s head office was destroyed in The Blast. You’ve built yourself a lovely mud hut. Enjoy.

You have been warned about this by the temporal enforcement committee. Things need to play out as they have always done. If you don't remove your post you will be kicked off your assignment.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Those who fixed on super cheap rates coming off later this year will be in for a shock I think.

Rates are averaging around the mid 4s at the minute which is bad enough, anything over 5 is very painful.

We were never lucky enough to secure a 1. something, and have a fairly low amount of borrowing....still a decent amount mind. Going from 2.2 to 3.9 was enough of a blow!

I wish I could put a healthy amount into overpayments each month, but we are desperate for a new bathroom and kitchen :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Don't worry, the BoE will further increase rates because people are getting pay rises, below inflation. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65876822

"
UK wages have risen at their fastest rate in 20 years, excluding the pandemic, raising expectations that UK interest rates will have to rise.

Regular pay excluding bonuses increased by 7.2% in the three months to April, although it still lags behind inflation - the rate at which prices rise.
"

It puts the <5% pay rise the public sector got into perspective too.

in the last 10 years we've had two 2% payrises lol

Soldato
OP
Not sure if it's time to just rip the damn plaster off. Go with +1% increase, all these little measures haven't worked?

House prices are silly high though, and I think we all agree need to come down.

Soldato
OP
If we are looking at 5% today, what are the projected figures for a 2 year fix?

Santander are tracking very closely to base at the minute, but I don't know if that's because they have previous mortgage deals to sell off. I'd say if base rate is 5% then 2yr fixes will be around 5.8% ish

Who knows though

:edit: sorry, I was looking at 5yr fixes, changed to 5.8%

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There is a massive crash in house prices coming.

People have been saying that for years though, yet all new developments continue to sell off plan. I think things need to get MUCH worse before people calm down. Far too many people happy to take on £200k/£300k/£400k debt just because "that's how much houses are these days"

That said, as I've gotten older my appetite for risk has declined so maybe I'm just an old git lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom