Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
I think part of the reason is youngsters don't really want to play the long game anymore. They want all the flash toys rather than the slog of saving for a house. Houses aren't exciting or fun and they seem impossibly expensive and purchasing one would mean giving up everything else.

I get excited chipping away at the mortgage these days, admit very low balance now, I think I'm at that boring stage of life haha

Soldato
I think part of the reason is youngsters don't really want to play the long game anymore. They want all the flash toys rather than the slog of saving for a house. Houses aren't exciting or fun and they seem impossibly expensive and purchasing one would mean giving up everything else.

What annoys me most about the mortgage rates rise is if I had additional outgoings of £500-600 a month for something good, like a new car, at least I'd feel like I'd gained something. But with the rates going up, you have exactly the same thing and it costs you 50% more or whatever. It doesn't feel like there's any return on it.

Caporegime
Comparing rates in isolation between countries is largely meaningless. What matters is overall affordability when accounting for average income and living costs, of which interest rates are but a single component; and affordability varies wildly between these countries.

I do however find data like this particularly interesting:

IMG-6907.jpg

It is interesting that the rates were at their lowest in the 2010's.

Caporegime
What annoys me most about the mortgage rates rise is if I had additional outgoings of £500-600 a month for something good, like a new car, at least I'd feel like I'd gained something. But with the rates going up, you have exactly the same thing and it costs you 50% more or whatever. It doesn't feel like there's any return on it.

Especially when all. You've ever known is sub 2pc rates.

Associate
Or to see it as a glass half full perspective, just think about the money saved while the rates were low.

(As my girlfriend would remind me, I'm completely a glass half empty point of view!)

Soldato
Where's an eyeroll reaction when you need one?

Man of Honour
yawn.

JFYI, i saved for 11 years before buying my current home. for that 11 years, I've only been on 3 holidays...and used more than 75% of my leave by working extra shifts for extra money.

Soldato
yawn.

JFYI, i saved for 11 years before buying my current home. for that 11 years, I've only been on 3 holidays...and used more than 75% of my leave by working extra shifts for extra money.
I know I was generalising a bit with my comment. There still are young people saving hard for a house. But there is a reason the ownership figures are dropping. The high price of housing in this country means a lot of youngsters attitude is that a flash car is more attainable. So that's where the money goes.

Man of Honour
@IvanDobskey back in your day, your long game was what...1-3 years?
nowadays it's probably more like 6-8 years...is it any wonder we're seeing what we're seeing?

the young'uns are far from being the cause...neither are the avocados and lattes (i don't eat/drink either of them anyway :cry: )

Soldato
@IvanDobskey back in your day, your long game was what...1-3 years?
nowadays it's probably more like 6-8 years...is it any wonder we're seeing what we're seeing?

the young'uns are far from being the cause...neither are the avocados and lattes (i don't eat/drink either of them anyway :cry: )
I'm not quite that old :D

Still paying mine off, but getting close now. Been ploughing all my money into it for a while now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I guess I just see a lot of people who look really young to me, driving around in top of the line brand new SUV's, whilst I'm sat in my 7 year old Leon. Money doesn't go in every direction.

This is somewhat fair. I also see this and I'm surprised by it actually.

I do not think it's fair to say "young people.. Avocado.. Yadda Yadda". But if you do have a merc on finance, a expensive rental and moan about saving.. Yeah you could do more.

That said.. The goal posts are so far away from boomer gen.. You can understand why many just go "F it.. I'm never gonna get there so live for today".

Back
Top Bottom