Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
The key though really is about having the capacity to service the debt, that’s the key, not the saving what you spend bit but ultimately the funds to regularly cover the MMP

Man of Honour
The key though really is about having the capacity to service the debt, that’s the key, not the saving what you spend bit but ultimately the funds to regularly cover the MMP
true. it's stuff i would have spent money on anyway. but better to have it on what is, essentially, an intrest-free loan...and have the money sat in my savings account/flexi-cash ISA earning 5-7%

Man of Honour
When you say you started, I’m curious when did you start and how quickly did you get to the £12k (assuming 5pc savings rate)?
8.5k solar PV system is the main one. then a TV etc and home electronics put it to £12k
the interest free period is 19 months and i have a £20k limit so will put all my living expenses/discretionary spending on the card as well over the next 19 months
can't beat an interest-free loan lol

Soldato
The mmp is irrelevant. You need the cashflow to cover the balance by the end of the team. Mmp is just basic table stakes

Soldato
Unless I paid my monthly bills I can’t see myself building up a balance quickly enough to make it worth my while but I guess it’s a little like compound interest, it will start off small and build over time.

Still, something I have capacity to do, so will definetly look in to it in more detail.

Soldato
The mmp is irrelevant. You need the cashflow to cover the balance by the end of the team. Mmp is just basic table stakes
I disagree, you very much do have to have the MMP in mind, especially if missing it once screws the whole process. Also so you know your limit of total debt to aim for, this can obviously be adjusted as you go, but if you start with an £x mmp target that also means you can be saving quicker if you factor that in from day 1, by saving the difference between your target mmp and actual + your spend.

Man of Honour
Unless I paid my monthly bills I can’t see myself building up a balance quickly enough to make it worth my while but I guess it’s a little like compound interest, it will start off small and build over time.
Still, something I have capacity to do, so will definetly look in to it in more detail.
every little helps, especially when it's less than 15mins to apply for a 0% CC

can't really be bitching moaning about how banks make bank off the common folk when said common folk do zilch to help themselves lol

Associate
I disagree, you very much do have to have the MMP in mind, especially if missing it once screws the whole process. Also so you know your limit of total debt to aim for, this can obviously be adjusted as you go, but if you start with an £x mmp target that also means you can be saving quicker if you factor that in from day 1, by saving the difference between your target mmp and actual + your spend.
There is zero risk of not having the mmp available as you can just take it from what you saved from putting all your spending on the credit card.
You know the mmp reduces the credit card balance and is not a charge/interest payment, right?

Soldato
My point is mmp is too low of a threshold and you've completely misunderstood the task at hand if that becomes an issue.

Soldato
My point is mmp is too low of a threshold and you've completely misunderstood the task at hand if that becomes an issue.
Yeah it's so minor relative to the income you require to service the debt. One of my purchase cards at 18k debt to be fair is a higher minimum payent (about 500/600 a month) but I just load it up with shopping each month.

The other 30k is like 300quid a month.

The flaws syla is looking for are minor, the major risk / issue is you forget about a card and start having to pay 27% APR or whatever it is.

Soldato
When stoozing was really popular in the early 00s, (made popular by MSE I believe), some people had many tens of thousands of stooze cash. An £80k stooze pot at 5% is £4k a year. But if you have a 3% MMP that is £2400 a month on that balance which would be difficult to maintain I think.

Getting to that level takes a lot of time and management as well. You can always pay the debt back so risk is low but I'd be concerned that the transfer deals dry up. A single mistake could cost you all the interest you've earned.

I'll look into it again but for me I could possible make a couple hundred quid interest this year doing it, which whilst free money I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of it.

Back
Top Bottom