Most games look "muddy"

Soldato
OP
Perhaps I need to downsize? 27" 4k? I wouldn't want to spend more than 250 on a monitor.

What sort of monitor for 250 would ensure everything looks good?

I don't think I'd want to go super high refresh as I'd then end up for the price at 1080p and I certainly don't want 1080p.

Associate
I think there's still some things worth trying before looking at buying a new monitor.

Try giving the "Weak" and "Medium" overdrive settings a go, see if either gives any improvement. Also you could try an ICC profile from here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q3279vwf/ if you aren't already using one, though make sure the ICC profile actually works since Windows 10 is super buggy.

But if the muddiness is mostly caused by motion and the overdrive doesn't help much your only option might be a new monitor. It seems the VA panel in the Q3279VWF is known for being smeary, even more than 144hz VA panels.

Soldato
OP
I turned overdrive off and also tried the ICC. Just BF V to me looks terrible, blurry in the distance, sketchy around grass and buildings. Will try fiddling with more settings. Forza 4 looked ok but it's like all games the graphics are meg, on the 4k TV Forza was stunning, not just "ok".

Soldato
OP
I will try to take a screenshot tonight on my phone of BF V, hopefully enough detail to zoom to get an idea of what I'm referring to.

I turned off DLSS thinking this was messing it up but that wasn't it.

Display Port doesn't have any issues does it?

Last edited:
Soldato
I will try to take a screenshot tonight on my phone of BF V, hopefully enough detail to zoom to get an idea of what I'm referring to.

I turned off DLSS thinking this was messing it up but that wasn't it.

Display Port doesn't have any issues does it?
It can do but its very rare. It can but worth trying a different cable and different port just to rule it out. Cheap or faulty cables have been known to cause problems.

Soldato
(/snippers)Personally i do not understand how people do it 1440p is the worst resolution ever and people will ask for it in 27inch form in spec me threads.

4k 120hz+ or nothing and no more than 27inch and you will require ULMB or ELMB.

Nonsense. I'm using 1440p@32" now. It's about as sharp as my older 1080p 24" monitor. It wouldn't be great if you sit with your face nearly touching it, but 32" is not the monitor size to do that on regardless of resolution. You'd break your neck. :D

The bit about 4k 120hz or nothing, no more than 27 inch did make me laugh out loud though, definite bonus point for you this evening.

Associate
Its a reality of large size screen low res and low refresh. Personally i do not understand how people do it 1440p is the worst resolution ever and people will ask for it in 27inch form in spec me threads.

People like 1440p because it is a noticable improvement over 1080p, and most people do not have a system that can run games at 4k60+, nor do they have the money to buy a graphics card that can do it either.

Associate
Here is one drive link to a picture but it's not a brilliant picture, perhaps BF V is just naff graphics? https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnvSU3cnBZfN-jGv3GW5nz-ompuy
Could you point out what it is exactly in the picture that looks muddy? It's hard to tell what's the screen and what's just caused by the camera. I can definitely see the effects of TAA on the foliage and the fence posts further back (unless that's being caused by the camera).

Maybe a picture of another game with AA turned off will be more helpful, or even both an in game screenshot and a photo to compare against.

Associate
You can't in BFV as far as I'm aware, I think the developers said it caused issues with transparency so there's no option to turn it off. I just remembered hating it in the beta, but it was also buggy back then and blurred it much more than it should have.

Permabanned
People like 1440p because it is a noticable improvement over 1080p, and most people do not have a system that can run games at 4k60+, nor do they have the money to buy a graphics card that can do it either.

Nonsense. I'm using 1440p@32" now. It's about as sharp as my older 1080p 24" monitor. It wouldn't be great if you sit with your face nearly touching it, but 32" is not the monitor size to do that on regardless of resolution. You'd break your neck. :D

The bit about 4k 120hz or nothing, no more than 27 inch did make me laugh out loud though, definite bonus point for you this evening.

It is only 93.1ppi versus 108.79ppi? Thats the reality of 1080p 23.5inch versus 1440p 27 inch hardly noticeable you would have to squint for the 16ppi extra. As for 32inch being as sharp you are correct 91ppi on the 32inch is about as sharp. But for twice the price?

What happens when you play a game with no MSAA? You lose the downsampling ability, You game with TAA? SMAA? Because these are all awful options if this happens to me i simply refuse to play it looks THAT BAD. And no games like the Witcher come with MSAA so 1440p would look ghastly compared to my 24inch. There would not even be a contest.

Also Willhub i can see the muddyness of the image, You can see it is quite pixelated and there are awful banding lines visable? You do see the rays of banding right? Personally this is exactly what i see below 4k so yea this is why i refuse to move from 4k downsampled. I see none of the above i only see a picture type image with near perfect clarity.

Last edited:
Associate
If it offends your eyes that much that's on you. I have no complaints at all about 1440p/32inch at a comfortable viewing distance for that size screen. Witcher 3 looks great on it to me, but then I don't push my nose into the monitor to pixel peep. I'd be happy playing that game at 720p on low though, because the game is fantastic regardless of visual fidelity.

Also Willhub i can see the muddyness of the image, You can see it is quite pixelated and there are awful banding lines visable? You do see the rays of banding right? Personally this is exactly what i see below 4k so yea this is why i refuse to move from 4k downsampled. I see none of the above i only see a picture type image with near perfect clarity.

The lines and banding are an artifact caused by the moiré effect - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern

You get this when taking a digital photo of a screen like this. It is not visible in real life because it does not exist in real life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom