Most Stable Z97X board to replace a Gigabyte Z97X-SOC. Any suggestions?

Associate
I'm on my second Gigabyte Z97X-SOC, first died would reboot with no display output.

This one just seems to have a issue with rebooting, it will just randonly restart even when it's not underload. I've ran prime 95 and real bench and it will loop fine, with no problems.

I'm looking for stability over any overclocking features really. If I can have bother great but stability first.

The fan utility software doesn't seem great either, any suggestions on a suitable replacement?

£130 - £150 price range. Any suggestions?

Associate
I would take the Asus sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 or the Asus Z97 Pro. I personally had the Asus Z97 AR which is a lower tier than my suggestion but it was perfectly stable and it had a very intuitive bios + excellent Q-Fan tuning feature.

Man of Honour
They cost more money yet the Pro Gamer will do 99% of what they do. You are paying for more bios options that you will never use (I have the Z87 Hero and the bios options are mind boggling and just not needed), more headers and extra's. Unless using extreme voltages and extreme cooling such as LN2 overclocking will be exactly the same. I can overclock my 4670K to 4.4Ghz (didn't try the 4.8Ghz it's capable of due to air cooling) with exactly the same settings in my wifes Gigabyte B85M-D3H as in my Hero and her board only cost me around £43!!

Associate
I ended up with the VII Ranger - cheaper than the Z97-Pro.

Had a few issues with the Z97-Pro on a couple of builds, so would go with the VII Ranger / Hero (if you want to spend £40 more compared to the Ranger) or Pro Gamer if I was doing it again.

Associate
OP
I ended up with the VII Ranger - cheaper than the Z97-Pro.

Had a few issues with the Z97-Pro on a couple of builds, so would go with the VII Ranger / Hero (if you want to spend £40 more compared to the Ranger) or Pro Gamer if I was doing it again.

Ah ok, what were the issues with the Z97 Pro mate?

Associate
Z97-Pro issues - one ended up with USB overvolt error despite nothing being connected so no it faulty front ports on case. Other seemed to have issue with interference on the soundcard as speakers would make a racket on bstartup and shutdown which I've never experienced before.

That said, I have one running in a PC used as a server and its fine. Maybe just got unlucky.

The two VII Rangers both problem free from the start.

Soldato
If you looking for stability as your primary feature and are prepared to pay for it I would be looking at the Asus Z97 WS. This is a consumer motherboard that’s been built, tested and validated to server grade standards all boards can overclock CPU’s to the same rate these days even low end ones so don’t worry about a workstation branded board not keeping up with boards that are branded as overclocking products.

If a server grade motherboard is too rich for your pockets or if it’s missing features that you find on the gaming branded boards then maybe check out Asus ‘TUF’ or Gigabytes ‘Black Edition’ motherboards. Again the BE and TUF boards go through a much tougher testing validation process than normal consumer grade boards and would most likely offer you the stability your looking for.

Back
Top Bottom