Motherboard channels M.2 slot query

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Hi

I am going to get a new motherboard, Gigabyte z370 Auros Gaming K3. Was thinking to get a m.2 ssd as well. Someone told me I had to be careful because if I install the m.2 it could use up lanes for the PCIe Slots? I don't really follow, can someone please explain?

I was aiming to use

1x PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16. - 1080 gfx card
1x PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x4 - Soundblaster z card

Won't be using raid or anything but will connect

3 x Sata drives 1tb, 2tb and 3tb.
1 x Sata Ssd (which will use a sata slot.).

So as I understand it depending what m.2 slot I use ( there are 2) it will affect the PCIe slots because it shares the same lanes? Is this correct? Is my other option to move the soundblaster to 1 of the 4 x PCI-E 3.0 x1 @ x1 instead?

Thanks in advance
Kyo

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Right after some reading up I didn't know m.2 has 2 types and one I can afford is a m2 Sata ssd. So for anyone interested according to the manual.

Installation Notices for the M.2 and SATA Connectors:
Due to the limited number of lanes provided by the Chipset, the availability of the SATA connectors may be affected by the type of device installed in the M2P_32G connector. The M2P_32G connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 0 connector.

That means I have to use M2P_32G connector only as the other m.2 slot M2Q_32G support pcie only. That means I can't use sata slot 0 for any of my hard disks. Phew got there in the end. Least I know more about it. :)

Soldato
Right after some reading up I didn't know m.2 has 2 types and one I can afford is a m2 Sata ssd. So for anyone interested according to the manual.

That means I have to use M2P_32G connector only as the other m.2 slot M2Q_32G support pcie only. That means I can't use sata slot 0 for any of my hard disks. Phew got there in the end. Least I know more about it. :)

You'll want a nvme drive really. With the sata M.2 drives theres no difference in speed compared to a standard 2.5" sata ssd.

Soldato
You'll want a nvme drive really. With the sata M.2 drives theres no difference in speed compared to a standard 2.5" sata ssd.

This. The SATA m.2 drives run at the speed of a sata drive. I mean they're small and convenient and if you want to lose some flappy bits in your case or don't have an SSD, then go for it - but if you do already have an SSD then it's not an upgrade.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP

To take advantage of a faster speed do i need something like a m.2 nvme PCIE Ssd riser card or is it purely down to type of m.2 I buy rather than the interface?

This. The SATA m.2 drives run at the speed of a sata drive. I mean they're small and convenient and if you want to lose some flappy bits in your case or don't have an SSD, then go for it - but if you do already have an SSD then it's not an upgrade.

I only have 1ssd that holds os so anything additional for prog and games will be an upgrade.

Thanks for you replies guys.

Soldato
z370 has enough internal lanes that using two PCI-E drives will not hit the number of SATA ports (3 would if the board has ports to fit them). It's just if you put a SATA one in it pinches port 0 data line as there are only so many SATA channels.

NVME = PCI express = faster speed = supported by your M.2 slots. You don't need a riser card. It just depends on the kind of M.2 drive you are buying.

To be fair most users can use a SATA drive and not notice the difference.

Soldato
To take advantage of a faster speed do i need something like a m.2 nvme PCIE Ssd riser card?

You need a proper PCI-E x4 m.2 drive and an appropriate slot (i.e. one that is not for sata drives).

I don't know why we have 2 electrical formats sharing the same physical slot. It's very silly :(

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
z370 has enough internal lanes that using two PCI-E drives will not hit the number of SATA ports (3 would if the board has ports to fit them). It's just if you put a SATA one in it pinches port 0 data line as there are only so many SATA channels.

NVME = PCI express = faster speed = supported by your M.2 slots. You don't need a riser card. It just depends on the kind of M.2 drive you are buying.

To be fair most users can use a SATA drive and not notice the difference.

You need a proper PCI-E x4 m.2 drive and an appropriate slot (i.e. one that is not for sata drives).

I don't know why we have 2 electrical formats sharing the same physical slot. It's very silly :(

Thanks for clarifying guys, I kind of figured the riser card after I posted as the m.2 ssd are new to me. Your right Eddiew that's what confusing and I can see a lot of customers who aren't into PC's will be stomped without reading up.

Soldato
Thanks for clarifying guys, I kind of figured the riser card after I posted as the m.2 ssd are new to me. Your right Eddiew that's what confusing and I can see a lot of customers who aren't into PC's will be stomped without reading up.

It's terrible, tbh. Some slots can take either type, but a sata drive will never be as fast as an nvme/pci-e drive no matter what you do. The only reason to go m.2 sata is because it's small and convenient and the slot is sata-only.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Going to get a m.2 128gb pcie nvme for OS and ta regular SSD 500gb for game installs. Thanks for the advice and clarification. Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom