Motherboard not sitting write, standoffs too short

Associate
I just took delivery of a shiny new Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo.

Super happy except at the point of installing the motherboard I have come to realise the stand offs are too short. So it does not sit high enough. This results in noticebly off centre position on the IO shield and when I come to install the graphics card, it won't seat correctly due to being far too high.

Has any one else had this issue and have a quick solution? I have already got in contact with Lian Li and waiting for a response. After some googling I see this isnt an isolated issue either which is a shame, because for a long time I have always considered their cases to be some of the best in the industry.

6BmVzmqm.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I had an InWin303 with a pre fitted stand off that was too short (caused me a whole lotta bother before I twigged on :mad:) that I had to place a couple of thin washers on top of to raise the height. Bit of a pain but I imagine having to do that for all the standoffs would be a nightmare and not very practical. Is an RMA not an option?

Associate
OP
It's a lot of case to RMA purely for some tiny stand offs which are too short.

Their CS team has been in touch and will send some replacement ones but these sadly seem to be coming from the middle of nowhere as will take between 18 and 22 days too arrive! which is crazy!

I am amazed that a company with such a popular model and with this being a known problem doesn't have available replacement components within distribution locations in the world, Such as OCUK in the UK or Caseking in Germany to cover Europe.

Associate
Lian Li's QC is going downhill.
Finally settled for a case (NV7), but two O11D Evo were misaligned somehow. First one the GPU wouldn't fully lock into PCI-E slot, second one glass panel wouldn't stay flush in place. First O11 Air Mini had older restrictive panels, over a year after the issue was reported and allegedly sorted. Also covered in some orangey dust like rust, despite being in a new/sealed box. Second O11 Air Mini had the USB-C shorting the motherboard. Lancool 3 and 216 was fine.
But the NV7 also had the wrong bottom bracket, which wouldn't allow for triple 140mm to be securely installed. At least the replacement bracket arrived within a week.

Associate
OP
There are different heights of standoffs in both metal and plastic that you can get from the bay for peanuts in a day or so.
I have just spent 180€ on a case, I expect the case to be as advertised and compatible with my motherboard. Which includes having the correct size standoffs.

Associate
OP
Hey. Any update on your standoffs ?
Been running the dynamic evo for a week now and loving it
but if it's not as expected, what's your options? rma the case or get some standoffs that work.
I contacted lian li, they said they would send some replacement ones out, I expect higher. But it would take 18-22 days so they must be being made first, and then shipped by personal carrier pigeon from Taiwan. I don’t get why they haven’t a supply of spares with case king and ocuk as they’re the direct distro for uk and EU…

And i am away for a week in america now, so not to stressed about it. Just disappointed tbh.

Once back from america I will chase things down a bit more. But I assume they’ve been sent and just slowly making their way over :)

Associate
Don't see what the big deal is as the standoffs that were already fitted to my case allowed me to build it all fine.
Plugging in the GPU took a bit of force but that was just the design of the case in order for it to sit securely and not sag at all.

Associate
OP
So Lian Li sent standoffs, which are the same height as those installed and therefore still too short.

Don't see what the big deal is as the standoffs that were already fitted to my case allowed me to build it all fine.
Plugging in the GPU took a bit of force but that was just the design of the case in order for it to sit securely and not sag at all.
The issue is the graphics card doesnt event sit correctly to lock it in place. I would say 2-3mm off. Also nothing during the installation of a computer should take force. Force in this instance won't do squat but damage something.

Associate
So Lian Li sent standoffs, which are the same height as those installed and therefore still too short.

The issue is the graphics card doesnt event sit correctly to lock it in place. I would say 2-3mm off. Also nothing during the installation of a computer should take force. Force in this instance won't do squat but damage something.

Well thankfully everything is running fine.
I have heard of the issue you describe amongst other Lian Li users so hope you get it resolved.

It appears in my instance, I was trying to plug it into the mobo first and then into the case... Which is wrong as apparently you are supposed to plug it into the case ( on the very left ) and then into the mobo in this order

IMG-0417.jpg

By the way this is not my Lian Li, just a spare PC case

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well thankfully everything is running fine.
I have heard of the issue you describe amongst other Lian Li users so hope you get it resolved.

It appears in my instance, I was trying to plug it into the mobo first and then into the case... Which is wrong as apparently you are supposed to plug it into the case ( on the very left ) and then into the mobo in this order

IMG-0417.jpg

By the way this is not my Lian Li, just a spare PC case
It sadly has no impact in this case, the top of the mounting bracket also stops the graphics card being inserted any further. I have contacted the store I purchased it from, I expect itll be an RMA and I won't buy Lian li again at this rate. which sucks as its a solid case otherwise and does everything I wanted.

Associate
Unless you snap the bit that is locked when the GPU is fully inserted, then happy days ordering a new GPU. J2C reported few issues with Gigabyte GPUs. Personally I would never use excessive force. Taking my PC apart few times per month over the past few years, no damage. Now I'm happy with thew NV7, only touching it for cleaning and an eventual upgrade.

Associate
OP
Sorry i didnt reply sooner, I had no notification there was a reply.

Anyway, they sent standoffs, they were the same size and useless, plus now i have a 15€ fee from Fedex for a 2€ product which I am trying to fight.

But the stand offs didnt work, so I bought longer ones off amazon which did. so now it sits at the correct height, luckily I won't be buying a new system for a while, but I also won't recommend Lian li cases.

They should account for different motherboard thicknesses which Is what I have concluded is the issue, it would be easy with a second set of stand offs and costs pennies. The rest of the case is great though.

ryu

ryu

Associate
How many other case manufacturers include multiple sized stand offs to accommodate this exact scenario? (just curious)

Back
Top Bottom