Motherboard only plays with Nvidia cards and not AMD?

Associate
Has anyone encountered a motherboard that will not give a display output through an AMD (specifically R9 series) card, but will through Nvidia cards? I have a Gigabyte Z77N Wifi that is doing just that: It will not work with my Fury X or 290X, or the 270X I borrowed (all definitely working elsewhere), but works fine with a GTX960 and a GTX770. It also works with my crappy HD5450.

Any ideas what could possibly be causing this behaviour?

Man of Honour
Have you updated the motherboard to the latest bios to improve gpu compatibility? This is the top cause of these problems and usually results in a black screen. It seems to be a big problem with Gigabyte Z77 boards in particular and is usually fixed by updating to the latest bios which is F3 for your board. You can download it here. Download it and stick it on a usb stick, reboot the pc and enter the bios and find the built in Q-Flash tool. Fire it up, point it to the location of the bios file and let it do it's thing. If you are overclocked write down your settings first as the bios flash will reset them. Once flashed go into the bios and re-enter your settings. Do not update the bios using any windows based software. Always use the built in bios flashing tool.

Associate
OP
I was thinking something down those lines - I had an issue like that with an older motherboard some years ago, but wouldn't have thought with a Z77. Is there some setting in the BIOS I should change?

Associate
OP
Have you updated the motherboard to the latest bios to improve gpu compatibility? This is the number 1 cause of these problems and usually just gives a black screen. It seems to be a big problem with Gigabyte Z77 boards and is usually fixed by updating to the latest bios which is F3 for your board. Download it and stick it on a usb stick, reboot the pc and enter the bios and find the built in Q-Flash tool. Fire it up, point it to the location of the bios file and let it do it's thing. If you are overclocked write down your settings first as the bios flash will reset them. Once flashed go into the bios and re-enter your settings. Do not update the bios using any windows based software. Always use the built in bios flashing tool.

It has the F3 BIOS on it.

Man of Honour
I was thinking something down those lines - I had an issue like that with an older motherboard some years ago, but wouldn't have thought with a Z77. Is there some setting in the BIOS I should change?

It's extremely common on Gigabyte Z77 motherboards. It became a issue with the next generation of cards that launched after the Z77 boards so within six months of the boards launching if I remember right. Apart from disabling the onboard gpu altogether I don't think that there are any other bios options to change. If you have a Ivybridge cpu (3000 series) you could check that pci-e gen 3 is selected in the bios (won't work if you have a Sandybridge 2000 series cpu as pci-e 3.0 is on the Ivybridge cpu's) but I can't see that that should stop it working.

It has the F3 BIOS on it.

In which case this is probably some sort of compatibility problem between the cpu and gpu or maybe even the UEFI bios. As there hasn't been a bios update for your motherboard since 2013 this my not be fixable. You could try Googling to see if anybody else has had the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom