Motherboard problems-Please help/advise

Soldato
Right, I will try to be brief.

MB Asrock Fatal1ty 990fx pro (Purchased OCUK some years ago)

Basically no boot.

There are a number of different scenarios. Sometimes I get a Dr Debug code 36 (This has happened on/off for some time but has never been a persistent problem)

But I am now into new territory not seen before....

Sometimes it boots to UEFI, but it cannot "see" any HDD.

If I boot from a Ubuntu USB, sometimes it will start up, but again it cannot see any HDD. I have checked that the HDD spin up so they seem to be getting power.

As yet I haven't tried anything else, But I will try removing/replacing the memory/CPU and perhaps trying to swap the memory to the other slots and see what happens.

So the questions.

#1 Can the HDD controller system fail leaving the rest of the MB working (More or less)? Is there any way of confirming this other than just trying a new MB??

#2 If I need a new MB, what are the implications regarding win10?

Of course it is an old AM3 system and AM3 MB's are becoming thin on the ground at OCUK. I am otherwise happy with the system for now and do not particularly want to go AM4 just yet (Especially since that would almost certainly deactivate my current win10, as I understand it, leading to yet more expense :( )

(Or maybe I should just bite the bullet here...:/ )

Any help/suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Soldato
OP
well, I swapped the memory into the other slots and it is working now. but it is still clunky. So I think I am going to need a new MB.

How graceful is win 10 with a new MB? Will my existing disk boot up and sort itself out or will I have to make a clean install?

(Obviously I know a clean install would be best, but is it necessary, or is it something I can clean up later?)

Back
Top Bottom