Motherboard standoffs won’t tighten

Associate
Building into a kolink citadel mesh micro-atx and 2 of the motherboard standoffs won’t tighten, they just keep spinning. Looks like I need nuts to secure.

Will the standoff thread size be specific to the case?

Soldato
If they're spinning, the thread is stripped in the case. Several of the cheaper cases I've used over the years have done the same. You can still use the standoff to hold the motherboard securely, but if you ever want to remove the screw you'll need to hold the back of the standoff with a pair of pliers. Looks like it'd be easy on that case - just remove the side panel, no hard drives or other stuff to remove.

Associate
OP
If they're spinning, the thread is stripped in the case. Several of the cheaper cases I've used over the years have done the same. You can still use the standoff to hold the motherboard securely, but if you ever want to remove the screw you'll need to hold the back of the standoff with a pair of pliers. Looks like it'd be easy on that case - just remove the side panel, no hard drives or other stuff to remove.
Never again will I buy a cheap case.

Soldato
Never again will I buy a cheap case.

Its not that so much.

I'm no mechanic but I try and DIY on the cars and motorcycle where possible over the years and one of the first things you learn is how little torque most things need.

Now compare how tiny motherboard/PC screws are, and what it is they are trying to achieve and you really only need a very small amount of torque, literally as they first start to feel tight, stop.

Soldato
I'm lucky that I've never experienced a spinning motherboard stand off for a very long time. When I did have one, I tended to just barely tighten it up enough and gingerly put the screw in.

The superglue suggestion sounds good. Although I've never used it on motherboard stand offs before, it'd be something I'd consider in the future. Either that or some of that liquid metal epoxy, but that can take about 24 hours to fully harden and the stand off will be there permanently.

Soldato
I've just rebuilt my system with a new case and the standoffs if you've stripped the threads you've overtightened them they shouldn't need any force at all just finger tight should be enough

Back
Top Bottom