Motherboards are not selling well.

Associate
Crazy prices for hardware, motherboards especially. Back in Nov 2020 I spent approx £300 for an Asus X570 Crosshair Hero ; the equivalent for AMD5 platform is in excess of £600. Decided to buy a 5800X3D ( for under £300 ) which will replace my existing 3900X, and likely last me several years. Like some of you I can afford the latest hardware, but it just doesn't seem worth it. Minimal performance uplift in real terms/everyday usage compounded by **** poor optimisation/ports from games developers.

These last 3 years have seen me increasingly drift toward console gaming. It is genuinely cheaper and less hassle owning a Series X, PS5 and Switch and viewing on a large OLED TV. And I say that as someone who has been a PC gamer for 28 years.

Last edited:
Associate
If prices continue increasing at the insane rate that they have they will be pricing so many people out and they’ll be wondering why they are losing money. With consoles as fast as they are these days it really is significantly less hassle with crappy optimisation and significantly cheaper.

Insane that I could buy a Series X or PS5 and still have change leftover for an SSD upgrade on top for what a single X series board would cost. And that doesn’t even factor in the extra cost of the CPU, RAM and GPU on top.

I’m one of those people that upgrades the GPU every generation, even SLI when that was a thing and have done for about 20yrs but even I’m tempted to give up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom