Moto G6 Thread

Soldato
New Moto G announced yesterday.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/moto-g6

I've been on the G 5 for a while. It's out of space and I only have the 2GB/32GB model, so I'm quite tempted by the upgrade.

I really like the phone, the home button/fingerprint reader gestures are great, and the twist/shake for camera/torch I'll end up missing if I go to another phone.

Amazon have an exclusive on the 4GB/64GB model apparently. Just waiting to see some more reviews on the camera, I'd really like something a step up from the G5.

Soldato
OP
Yeah no cpu upgrade is a bit of a downer.

Especially when last year's phones like the Nokia 8, Samsung S8, and stuff like the P20 lite isn't *that* much more.

Edit : I didn't see the G6 plus is launching here on May 9th. That would be a nice upgrade from the 2Gb/32 g5...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just to be clear there has been a total of TWO Security updates for UK users on the 'retgb' update channel since the launch of the G5 series. The first came through in February 2018 (Nov 2017 security patch, the the second a few day ago with Mar 2018 security updates). Given security updates should ideally be monthly I wouldn't describe it as 'pretty good' although quarterly is probably acceptable. There has obviously been no software updates and the phone is stuck on Android 7.0. I have another family member who has the G5+ and that has also only received 2 security patches although the latest includes newer April 2018 security updates instead of March.

It was also mentioned in the same thread that Motorola had no official partner in the UK for updates and this is why they have only just started rolling out security updates this year. Other regions on different update channels have had more frequent security updates, i.e. reteu, since launch.

Personally I would say if software updates are important to you, stay away from Lenovo/Motorola phones.

I'm on reteu. They had a spurt of regular updates until March, although it's dried up since then.

Frankly the blame has to lay partly with Google. At least they are addressing the issue with Project Treble finally, although it'll be a while before we see the benefits of that roll out.

Back
Top Bottom