Moto G6 Thread

Soldato
New Moto G announced yesterday.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/moto-g6

I've been on the G 5 for a while. It's out of space and I only have the 2GB/32GB model, so I'm quite tempted by the upgrade.

I really like the phone, the home button/fingerprint reader gestures are great, and the twist/shake for camera/torch I'll end up missing if I go to another phone.

Amazon have an exclusive on the 4GB/64GB model apparently. Just waiting to see some more reviews on the camera, I'd really like something a step up from the G5.

Soldato
I was interested in upgrading from my Moto G5, but there's been a bit of a price-hike since the last gen. I paid ~£170 for my G5 on release. The Moto G made its name as a great budget phone. At £219, I'm not sure it still fits in the 'budget' bracket.

The processor is essentially the same as in the G5, which itself was a slight downgrade from the G4.

Soldato
OP
Yeah no cpu upgrade is a bit of a downer.

Especially when last year's phones like the Nokia 8, Samsung S8, and stuff like the P20 lite isn't *that* much more.

Edit : I didn't see the G6 plus is launching here on May 9th. That would be a nice upgrade from the 2Gb/32 g5...

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah no cpu upgrade is a bit of a downer.

Especially when last year's phones like the Nokia 8, Samsung S8, and stuff like the P20 lite isn't *that* much more.

Edit : I didn't see the G6 plus is launching here on May 9th. That would be a nice upgrade from the 2Gb/32 g5...
Can anyone help me any idea why my P20 Lite hairline crack on screen. I wait for a few weeks as they don't have the repair codes or the product to repair it as it is less than 30 days old

Associate
My wife has a Moto G6 and I a G5, both dual SIM with UK and Cyprus SIMs.

We are presently in UK with Location ON, but the "Time and Weather" widget stubbornly reports Nicosia weather, and we can see no buttons to force a to switch to Southampton.

What are we missing?

Associate
Updates have been pretty good recently. My G5 got the March 1 2018 early in April, they've been pretty regularly since the beginning of the year.

Just to be clear there has been a total of TWO Security updates for UK users on the 'retgb' update channel since the launch of the G5 series. The first came through in February 2018 (Nov 2017 security patch, the the second a few day ago with Mar 2018 security updates). Given security updates should ideally be monthly I wouldn't describe it as 'pretty good' although quarterly is probably acceptable. There has obviously been no software updates and the phone is stuck on Android 7.0. I have another family member who has the G5+ and that has also only received 2 security patches although the latest includes newer April 2018 security updates instead of March.

It was also mentioned in the same thread that Motorola had no official partner in the UK for updates and this is why they have only just started rolling out security updates this year. Other regions on different update channels have had more frequent security updates, i.e. reteu, since launch.

Personally I would say if software updates are important to you, stay away from Lenovo/Motorola phones.

Soldato
OP
Just to be clear there has been a total of TWO Security updates for UK users on the 'retgb' update channel since the launch of the G5 series. The first came through in February 2018 (Nov 2017 security patch, the the second a few day ago with Mar 2018 security updates). Given security updates should ideally be monthly I wouldn't describe it as 'pretty good' although quarterly is probably acceptable. There has obviously been no software updates and the phone is stuck on Android 7.0. I have another family member who has the G5+ and that has also only received 2 security patches although the latest includes newer April 2018 security updates instead of March.

It was also mentioned in the same thread that Motorola had no official partner in the UK for updates and this is why they have only just started rolling out security updates this year. Other regions on different update channels have had more frequent security updates, i.e. reteu, since launch.

Personally I would say if software updates are important to you, stay away from Lenovo/Motorola phones.

I'm on reteu. They had a spurt of regular updates until March, although it's dried up since then.

Frankly the blame has to lay partly with Google. At least they are addressing the issue with Project Treble finally, although it'll be a while before we see the benefits of that roll out.

Associate
I'm on reteu. They had a spurt of regular updates until March, although it's dried up since then.

Frankly the blame has to lay partly with Google. At least they are addressing the issue with Project Treble finally, although it'll be a while before we see the benefits of that roll out.

As noted the situation with other region update channels for the Moto G5 series has been better than the retgb update channel. I just wanted to be clear that there has been a very specific problem with the retgb channel, as much as updates haven't been that regular. That obviously doesn't excuse the lack of software updates. And agreed the blame is with Google as the gatekeepers and the OEMs. I'm not personally convinced Treble makes a huge amount of difference - but that's another topic.

As noted in the other thread I'm off to Huawei/Honor-land now (literally have a fully overnight charged Honor 10 ready to go) but didn't once consider another Motorola/Lenovo phone.

Back
Top Bottom