Motorbike visibility

Associate
Nope wear a black jacket.
Black Helmet as well.
Dipped lights on all the time, with Micro DE's on as running lights also in bad weather.

Defensive riding and good observations on the riders part can save you from all those numpties on the roads.

Associate
1. Do you ever ride in a high vis jacket?
2. Do you wear a white helmet?
3. Do you ride in daylight with a dipped headlight?

1. No chance. Black leathers + boots for the win.
2. No chance. Black helmet for the win.
3. Yep - on by default on most (all?) modern bikes.

Bike is bright orange, so the bike get's me seen, so I can look all scary and cool in black. Or something. :p

Soldato
Always have a high vis vest on, it may aswell be part of my winter jacket as it never gets removed from it.
White helmet? Pull the other one :D
Lights, yes although by choice as my bike is a '95 model.

I also have a nice loud exhaust which hopefully plays a part in getting noticed too.

Despite this I still ride as though everybody hasn't seen me and am very defensive in my positioning.

Associate
I never really ride with my dipped beam, well until I got my Triumph where it doesn't have a switch :/

Its harder to judge the distance of a vehicle when it has its lights on. When the sun is low in the sky and behind the rider you'll dissapear in a haze of sunshine, which is most days in winter. I only turn them on when its a dull/rainy day or possibly when slowly filtering through traffic.

I wear a black lid and no high viz, though I might stick a load of reflective strips over myself as I am all in black!

I find observing someone making a mistake rather than relying on them seeing you is a far better way not to get splatted, high viz etc is pretty low down on my list of 'safe' riding.

Pet hate of mine is riders who go along with full beam on, tools.

Associate
Yes (well oxford reflective strips on my jacket)
No (Gun metal grey lid)
Yes (there is no switch to turn them off)

Most new bikes come with dipped beams permanently on.

Associate
1. No
2. No my helmet is black with an awesome grey skull design with like bladed tails come from it.
3. I thought it was now a requirement for all new bikes to have the lights turned on via the ignition switch; but yes I always have my lights on

I had a bright yellow 250 hornet, and it didn't stop someone from changing into my lane and me hitting my face off his rhs wingmirror at 80 mph on a day where there was maximum visibility and almost zero traffic on the motorway (ah working on christmas day :D)

Luckily I didn't fall off, otherwise you'd be talking to a ghost right now; Police STILL haven't found who it was despite me giving a partial plate....

Associate
best way imo, but a loud exhaust is a very good idea

Never found it any help in spotting/hearing bikes coming. Because with the car stereo on or the windows up on the cage you don't hear the exhaust until the bike has passed. May help pedestrians hear you coming but not drivers of other vehicles.

Man of Honour
Triumph TT600 with a few subtle mods.

tt_1.JPEG

I have since that picture was taken added a Quill Titanium EVO2 exhaust, dyno'ed and ecu remapped.

I see you also live in SE Londinium, so no doubt you'll hear me one of these days :p

Back
Top Bottom