Motorcar vs Cyclist.

Soldato
scenario:

i pull up at a T junction to turn right.
a cyclist pulls up on my left side and decides to turn right with me at the same time.
as the road is narrow'ish and to avoid oncoming traffic during my right hand turn i've eased over
left which would mean moving closer to the cyclist on the left.

i had my windows down and he called me some troubling names which i returned in kind.
to be honest i wanted to smash his head in with a 7 Iron but i thought i'd ask the good
people at overclockers what they thought.

was he legally ok to pull up on my left side and turn right with me at the same time?

No i would say he was in the wrong.

In reality if he doesn't know how wide the road is when turning onto it, he should give the car the benefit of the doubt. Either that or you queue up infront of a car so you get the full width of the road as a normal vehicle would.

You probably "should" have let the cyclist go first but they don't have priority by default in that situation so if he couldn't take up a commanding position should have let you go first. A bike can filter in that situation and get ahead in theory but they can't just barge in if there isn't a position to take up ahead of a vehicle and should have filed in behind you assuming he was fully alongside.

With these things why is it always legally? How about asking if your car knocked him off his bike would you be ok with that regardless of legal rights? Same with pedestrian come to think of it ?

Sometimes I am more than ok with it but then wouldn't want to scuff my paintwork. Honestly the state of some of the cycling around here is dreadful. Seeing them roll on through red lights or trying to squeeze through gaps in slow moving traffic.

Many A wipes Cycling gives decent ones a bad name! but also there are drivers like wise!

Many are ignorant or don't care about road rules or think it don't apply to them?(pump in front wheel sorts them out pronto!)
One of my fave tricks was hook em up Track style and fend them off into an object like parked van etc! if they NO! me off too much!
Seen a few bellends with red light on front coming towards you even had one A wipe with white on the back!
while back going along canal towpath had one come towards me with red light on front thought was going other way as dark nearly had a head on with the NO! and if had had more time would have put the NO! in the canal or worse!

So many think it's not upto them to take responsibility for there actions! so when they ride under lorries etc there dead as no reset button on life unlike a play station!

Last edited by a moderator:
That situation is why loads get squashed by lorries and buses in London. Usually it's trying to squeeze down the left as the lorry/bus is turning left.

Cyclist was in the wrong though. That isn't how you use a junction.

I take it the cyclist wasn't indicating to turn right? Depending on how far over to the left he was, if he wasn't indicating I think it's fair to say you thought he was turning left.

I sometimes position myself slightly left of the centre of the lane (while indicating right) both in my car and on my bike due to the amount of numpties who cut corners.

Sounds like the cyclist wasn't very savvy in this case though.

You wanted to smash his head in because he called you a name.
Overreaction much.

B..b..but Mummy, the mean man on a bike called me a nasty name.

Last edited:
PPPPPP - how slow were you at moving off - such that there was ever any contention after you joined the road, or oncoming traffic issue ?
you should have been long gone, not having a discussion with him.
... and if he had moved off before you - should have held back. ... had he positioned himself there because of earlier missed gaps.

Had the cyclist not broken that same law, he'd not have injured himself in the first place.
Are you happy to take legal responsibility and pay the price for someone else's law-breaking stupidity? If so, I have a string of incidents here that could do with a scapegoat...

I’d much prefer to simply not injury another road user being pedestrian, cyclist, car user or anything else if I can help it regardless of legal rights etc etc.

Sometimes I am more than ok with it but then wouldn't want to scuff my paintwork. Honestly the state of some of the cycling around here is dreadful. Seeing them roll on through red lights or trying to squeeze through gaps in slow moving traffic.

Agree with the state of cycling, no lights, running red lights etc. But again you genuinely wouldn’t give two ***** if you hit one? If that is the case maybe you are part of the problem on the roads without realising, not to dissimilar to other party.

You're in the right. He is in the wrong position in the road to turn right. A motorbike wouldn't attempt it, so the cyclist should be no different. As long as you weren't veering all over the place or anything like that, you did nothing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom