Motorcycle in a thunderstorm

Soldato
So: thinking that having rubber tyres will protect you in a thunderstorm is a complete myth, the air is a poor conductor of electricity, and lighting will travel through miles of it, a few inches of rubber won't make any difference.

Being in a car protects you, because the body of the car acts like a Faraday cage, and the electricity flies around you. You are not protected on a motorcycle, or a convertible car for that matter.

The mortality rate for motorcyclists being hit by lighting is around 50%, and aside from the electrical damage to you, chances are you will get knocked off the bike, and suffer injury resulting from that, and there is a good chance it'll cause your fuel tank explode.

From 2006 to 2013, 261 people were killed in the US from being struck by lightning, of which, 4% were riding a motorcycle at the time. Which is actually quite a huge percentage of you think about the average of people who would be riding a motorcycle at any given time and place.

Soldato
So what are the actual chances of being hit by lightning whilst biking in the UK? I suspect so small as to be not worth considering, particularly compared to other risks.

Soldato
A great deal of America is open road through flat and fairly featureless desert, where you're the highest thing around. All part of the appeal, apparently.
Here, you're more likely to have a branch fall off a tree and down onto you, after it gets hit by lightning.

But so what? I wouldn't let a little thing like angry Thor stop me from riding.

Soldato
:D lol.

I actually think I might be a high risk in a thunderstorm so I stay inside. I have a metal Femur, plates in my arm, plates in my hand and to top if off - I wear glasses now with a metal frame! :D

Back
Top Bottom