Motorway Coupe - E92? £7k budget.

Soldato
Hi all,

Not long after I decided on looking at a 350z, my circumstances changed a little. Commute has doubled and is now motorway mostly.

I quite like the BMW 3 Series Coupe (E92) but also open to the saloon or even a 5 Series around this age. My budget is £7k.

Ill be putting around 15k miles on it per year, so not sure if this is diesel territory or not.

320i or 320d (even 325d 330d) are tempting but I'm not familiar with the things to look out for. I've read there's some reliability issues with one of the engines (N52?) but not sure how common that is.

If I can find one near me (<100 miles from Newport) today or tomorrow I hopefully will go and view/buy.

So, petrol or diesel? 320 or 520? Any major issues with the engines/years I've mentioned?

Thanks!

Kris

Man of Honour
4 cylinder BMWs both petrol and diesel are worth avoiding at this age. The 6 cylinder models are far more reliable.

But to be honest if you want to do a reliable 15k a year why is an old BMW your choice?

Soldato
OP
Because my priorities are probably wrong.
I'm finding it painful enough that I have to skip the 350z idea. Are 70-80k mileage 10 year old bmws with full BMW service history an unreliable choice?

I could go newer & more reliable, but there's not a lot that interests me in this price range.

Soldato

How are you getting on with yours? I tried to send you a message but it wouldn't work. Do you find it has enough power? What's it like on the motorway? Slugish? Throttle response? Obviously it is a cruiser rather than a fire breathing monster but the stats suggest it's underpowered (we all know stats aren't the be all and end all).

I reckon that's being sold because it's starting to play up. They're getting to that age now.

Associate
The five series is a much better motorway car. If it must be a three, you may get more for your money going for a saloon over a coupe. I'd suggest sticking to 17" wheels on the E90. An SE on non runflats is actually very comfortable and makes a good motorway commuter: I did 28k last year in a 335i SE saloon and often hit over 40mpg on a journey (N55 engine, manual gearbox). But, the E60 is a more refined car.

They can **** themselves and cost a fortune to repair, as my car did. The BMW warranty is worth having at £50-60 a month but it means no mods allowed. bmwwarranty dot co dot uk

I'd probably take a punt on running a 325/330 petrol out of warranty, there's less to go wrong with those. This is the N52 engine mentioned in the OP, it's actually pretty reliable. The N53 is the later model with direct injection and the internet suggests it's problematic.

I think the 335d's are supposed to be ok but I don't really do diesel cars.

Otherwise get a Lexus (or Infiniti if you like Nissan), as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

If I rule out a BMW at this price range, maybe. Though if I rule it out I'm pretty lost on what I actually want. Have had an E92 in my head for a few weeks now.

I reckon that's being sold because it's starting to play up. They're getting to that age now.

Maybe. Feels like a minefield with a lot of these cars.

The five series is..

Thanks for the info! 2.5 and 3.0 325 being both N52? There's a few around that look like they've been taken care of.

After a quick autotrader search

BMW 3 Series 3.0 335d M Sport

BMW 3 Series 3.0 325d M Sport

BMW 3 Series 3.0 335i M Sport

BMW 6 Series 3.0 630i Sport

BMW 6 Series 3.0 635d Sport

Probably the more realistic of the bunch?

For 7k? It'll be awful.

A 630i at this price range scares me.

Soldato
I'm considering similar and to be honest all cars, especially 'premium' ones, are going to have some element of risk here. They're all rather complicated compared to older cars (which themselves are most likely to be rusty/worn/not particularly comfy/possibly unreliable due to age related issues) so I think it's just a case of biting the bullet and having a chunk of cash set aside for repairs - not to mention potential time the car might spend off the road.

I'd steer away from diesels to be honest, you're just adding more to the list of things that could go wrong.

Soldato
A 630i at this price range scares me.
Why does it but a 325d doesn't? A 325d will most likely have been ragged from cold (I say this because the 630i doesn't have a turbo so less fussy in this regard) and this'll be the age/mileage where it starts to show.

Soldato
If I rule out a BMW at this price range, maybe. Though if I rule it out I'm pretty lost on what I actually want. Have had an E92 in my head for a few weeks now.

Maybe. Feels like a minefield with a lot of these cars.

Thanks for the info! 2.5 and 3.0 325 being both N52? There's a few around that look like they've been taken care of.

Probably the more realistic of the bunch?

there was a BMW 3 Series 2.0 320d M Sport I think

Soldato
I personally prefer the look on the 1 Series coupe, It's certainly not a small car and quite daily-able i'd imagine, I hear E46 sized a lot from reviewers.

the 123d and 125i seem to be in your price range, 123d being a 4cyl diesel and the 125i a 6cyl detuned 130i hatch petrol engine (Easily remapped to 130i power)

Back
Top Bottom