Motorway temporary speed limits

Soldato
Not speeding related. But where I work, the local soldiers used to get a wrecked car and make it look like some horrific accident by putting a dummy in it with broken glass and blood everywhere. Then put to next to the road in the side of a tree over the Christmas period.

It was an anti-drink driving thing, but wow that used to slow people down!

It got a bit out of hand when they took it to the shooting range and shot bullet holes in it one year. It was stopped after that :(

Man of Honour
Not speeding related. But where I work, the local soldiers used to get a wrecked car and make it look like some horrific accident by putting a dummy in it with broken glass and blood everywhere. Then put to next to the road in the side of a tree over the Christmas period.

It was an anti-drink driving thing, but wow that used to slow people down!

It got a bit out of hand when they took it to the shooting range and shot bullet holes in it one year. It was stopped after that :(
You can always count on squaddies to take it one step too far :D

Soldato
On the M25 last week or the week before. 5 lanes. First two lanes 30 on the gantry the 3rd lane blank and then the 4/5th 40mph. ridiculous.

Also when are we allowed to get back up to speed. I cant count the amount of times I've gone through a reduced speed limit and NEVER then drive past a NSL sign to say its gone back up until you get to the end of the variable speed limit fixed sign.

Soldato
I get really fed up when obstructions have been clear and traffic is moving freely, yet they've forgotten to reset the signs. You'd have thought a lot of this would have been automated by now, check the average speed during a section, if it's at the limit or above the limit then there's clearly no congestion and the limit should be upped or cleared.

They are automated and pretty clever to!
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/smart-motorways

As a driver you only see a very small section of the motorway, the system sees the whole thing and as such makes its calculations on that. its about smoothing out congestion, not to be punitive.

its also not always about congestion they get used to combat pollution in hotspots.

Though im sure there is an element of revenue raising mixed in as well!

Soldato
Traffic signs must comply to regulations https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/traffic-signs-signals-and-road-markings if there's no red circle then it's not an enforcable upper speed limit.
Except the variable speed limits on motorway gantries are enforceable yet don't have a red circle. So if people choose to ignore them and try to cite that there wasn't a red circle, then they should fully expect to get laughed at while they are paying their fines and getting points put on their licence.

Back
Top Bottom