Mountain Dew Energy - odd experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yesteday night I had a glass of mountain dew energy for the first time, just one glass (about 500ml). During the night I had a mild headache and this morning my vision is noticeably blurred. Please bare in mind that I haven't had a headache for several months now and I don't ever recall eyesight going blurred like this.

Anyone ever experience anything like this before? Is mountain dew known to cause such issues?

It tasted like crap and I've poured the rest of the bottle down the sink, but I'm a little worried about the vision blurring, I've never had this before.

I don't want to die! :(

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Yesteday night I had a glass of mountain dew energy for the first time, just one glass (about 500ml). During the night I had a mild headache and this morning my vision is noticeably blurred. Please bare in mind that I haven't had a headache for several months now and I don't ever recall eyesight going blurred like this.

Anyone ever experience anything like this before? Is mountain dew known to cause such issues?

It tasted like crap and I've poured the rest of the bottle down the sink, but I'm a little worried about the vision blurring, I've never had this before.

I don't want to die! :(

Do you get like that with other energy drinks?

Associate
Never really had blurring from energy drinks, aside from when mixed with vodka or Jager :D.

Could just be a coincidence though, an ocular migraine maybe?

Permabanned
It'll be the high caffeine and sugar content giving you a headache and the headache blurring your vision. US mountain dew energy has less caffeine per 100ml.

Alcopops like WKD and Smirnoff ice used to give me banging headaches on a night out because of the amount of sugar in them.

Soldato
UK mountain dew contains silly amounts of caffeine, it's not far off red bull/monster, it is far more than lucozade, try drinking a 500ml can of red bull and see if you get similar side effects

Soldato
Not sure about the vision, never heard of caffeine doing that, Did it go away? I would ask a Dr.

One time there was Cherry Mountain Dew in the fridge & I tried it, man it sucked. Tasted like Cough Syrup.

Soldato
OP
The vision blurring has mostly gone away, but I can still notice something is not right. My eyes feel tired, as if I haven't had enough sleep, even though I had good 9hrs last night. It's the same feeling you get if you look at a monitor for too long, without blinking.

Oh well, that's another thing I will put on my list of 'crap I should never ingest'. :mad:

Wise Guy
Soldato
But srsly sounds like an allergy to "yellow #5".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartrazine

Tartrazine appears to cause the most allergic and intolerance reactions of all the azo dyes, particularly among asthmatics and those with an aspirin intolerance.[4] Symptoms from tartrazine sensitivity can occur by either ingestion or cutaneous exposure to a substance containing tartrazine.[citation needed]

A variety of immunologic responses have been attributed to tartrazine ingestion, including anxiety, migraines, clinical depression, blurred vision, itching, general weakness, heatwaves, feeling of suffocation, purple skin patches, and sleep disturbance.[5]

Certain people who are exposed to the dye experience symptoms of tartrazine sensitivity even at extremely small doses, some for periods up to 72 hours after exposure.[citation needed] In children, asthma attacks and hives have been claimed, as well as supposed links to thyroid tumors, chromosomal damage, and hyperactivity.[6][7]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom