Mounting rift sensors

Soldato
So I had my two rift sensors mounted on the wall with some ball joint mounts that were stuck to the wall with 3m adhesive pads.

Then I moved house and took them off the wall.

Ld5HGrgh.jpg

And now I'm not allowed to use 3m adhesive (we rent).

So I have the mounts, but no way to attach them. And I binned the little stands the sensors came with so I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas?

Associate
Some telescopic floor-to-ceiling support poles and some grip mounts perhaps? Completely non-destructive, and not too expensive (I use this for my Vive lighthouses). Not sure what the screw size is of the Oculus mounts though.

Soldato
OP
Some telescopic floor-to-ceiling support poles and some grip mounts perhaps? Completely non-destructive, and not too expensive (I use this for my Vive lighthouses). Not sure what the screw size is of the Oculus mounts though.
Not a bad shout, it's a standard tripod mount screw. I don't know if the missus would agree with that solution though as it's "ugly"

Associate

The sensors use standard tripod female thread.

Anything like cheap light stands or such would do, but they have the disadvantage of a large footprint on the floor. Cheap security camera mounts also do the job, but you'd need to drill a hole (which might be a problem?).

Soldato
OP
Aren't command strips designed for this?
What are command strips?

E: a quick Google has some velcro adhesive strips designed to not damage your walls. Those the ones? I imagine the velcro might be a bit less stable than I'd like for this, but haven't tried them before. Do they do double sided adhesive ones to your knowledge?

Last edited:
Soldato
I use command strips on mine with 3d printed mounts. They're perfectly stable and secure.
It's not velcro. It's more like a miniature stickle brick kind of attachment.

Not sure if the adhesive they use would be any less damaging to your wall though.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1772848

Medium Command strips pick one.
You can buy the mounts here if you don't have a printer.

I also used this trunking to hide the cables. Again, no idea if the adhesive would be an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
+1 for command strips. There's not much weight to the sensor and cable when detached from the base. My sensor is stuck to a door frame which has glossy paint.

Back
Top Bottom