mouse causing interference with onboard audio

Man of Honour
My new build has onboard audio which is pretty good and I was intending to stick with it, but I'm getting a bit of buzzing which I've narrowed down to mouse movement. I'm not using the front panel connectors (which seem to be more of a problem in this respect) and I've tried a couple of USB ports in case it was some oddity regarding one of them.

Am I right in thinking that the only practical solution is a soundcard?

Soldato
Well, obviously it isn't that good if it tracks mouse movement... :p
Isn't the first time I've read about this problem with integrated sound card.

Depending on signal routing on motherboad front connector pin header might (maybe) have cleaner signal...
But that connector wiring of case sure can have its own effects.

Separate sound card is definitely the best for avoiding problems of motherboads integrated.
Myself never used integrated sound cards so haven't had chance to "enjoy" all these various interference problems.
You using headphones or speakers?

Soldato
Have seen the mouse interference problem when it only affects speakers... no interference with headphones...sometimes cured by using a different power point or moving the PC away from the sockets...not sure if that indicates a problem with the onboard/speakers or house wiring!

Man of Honour
OP
Well, obviously it isn't that good if it tracks mouse movement... :p

Well, good apart from that :) The sound quality is very good...as long as I don't move the mouse. I found another "feature" later - loading images on a website causes buzzing too. Only images, which is rather odd. Oh, and HDD use. I was wondering why the HDD was louder in my new PC, but initially thought it was the new HDD or the new case. It isn't. It's the onboard sound.

Yeah, not that good :)

Isn't the first time I've read about this problem with integrated sound card.

It's the first time I've used it, but searching online returned about a bazillion posts about it.

Depending on signal routing on motherboad front connector pin header might (maybe) have cleaner signal...
But that connector wiring of case sure can have its own effects.

The gist of the posts I read was that the front connector is usually worse.

Separate sound card is definitely the best for avoiding problems of motherboads integrated.
Myself never used integrated sound cards so haven't had chance to "enjoy" all these various interference problems.

Headphones. I have neighbours and thin walls.

I think I'll go back to the old X-Fi card I was using in my previous PC. I was hoping someone here knew a fix. A long shot, but worth a go.

Soldato
Well, good apart from that :) The sound quality is very good...as long as I don't move the mouse. I found another "feature" later - loading images on a website causes buzzing too. Only images, which is rather odd. Oh, and HDD use.

Headphones. I have neighbours and thin walls.
All the "classics".
Scrolling web page might also cause noise...
What's the motherboard with winner design?

Actually one user had motherboard with integrated sound card's rear outputs having lots of interference with lot less of it when using front connectors of case.
But unless you're using PC just for listening music why are you even wanting to play in stereo?

For horrible gaming experience start at 13 mins.
Though not having everything sound sucktastic requires at least decent headphones...

Man of Honour
OP
All the "classics".
Scrolling web page might also cause noise...

Not if I use the scroll wheel. A win for the onboard sound! :)

What's the motherboard with winner design?

Gigabyte Z97-D3H-CF

Actually one user had motherboard with integrated sound card's rear outputs having lots of interference with lot less of it when using front connectors of case.
But unless you're using PC just for listening music why are you even wanting to play in stereo?

Because in my experience surround sound headphones are worse than decent stereo headphones and aren't really surround sound anyway.

I have a proper surround sound setup, speaker set, amp, subwoofer. But I also have neighbours and thin walls, so I don't use it out of consideration for them.

Though not having everything sound sucktastic requires at least decent headphones...

Yes, it does. So I bought the best I could within my budget after spending quite a lot of time reading as many reviews as possible of as many headphones as possible within my budget.

Soldato
Gigabyte Z97-D3H-CF
Looks like they should have spent more resources to actual design and less to hype.

The ALC1150 is a high-performance multi-channel High Definition Audio Codec that delivers an exceptional audio listening experience with up to 115dB SNR, ensuring users get the best possible audio quality from their PC...
Built-in Rear Audio Amplifier

Specially designed for gamers, GIGABYTE 9 series Ultra Durable™ motherboards utilize a high-capacity amplifier which is able to drive 600Ω loads, giving gamers a fuller range of dynamic sound with crisper details and less distortion...
Dedicated Audio Hardware Zone
+ Separation on the PCB layer protects the board's sensitive analog audio components.
+ Separate analog and digital ground to protect against Electromagnetic Interference (EMI).

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97-D3H-rev-10#ov
All the lines of BS bingo in there...

Because in my experience surround sound headphones are worse than decent stereo headphones and aren't really surround sound anyway.
"Surround" headsets have nothing to do with real surround.
With headphones that's achieved by using binaural sound, which mimics directly in signal how sounds from different directions behave while traveling to ears.
And even if just stereo models gaming headphones/sets are usually cheap China junk with lots of hype.
(if profit margins weren't excessive there would be lot less gaming brands)

In competitive gaming sense old CMSS-3D of X-Fi cards is way best in picking up foot step sounds etc.
But its major frequency response manipulation kills bass and lots of feeling in fps games.
Newer SBX Pro Studio loses in that detail nitpicking, but is more balanced.

With headphones binaural sound should be priority in gaming.
Of course if listener's ear and head shape and size differ too much from average then those binaural sound's spatial cues don't work correctly.

V F

V F

Soldato
In competitive gaming sense old CMSS-3D of X-Fi cards is way best in picking up foot step sounds etc.
But its major frequency response manipulation kills bass and lots of feeling in fps games.
Newer SBX Pro Studio loses in that detail nitpicking, but is more balanced.

With headphones binaural sound should be priority in gaming.
Of course if listener's ear and head shape and size differ too much from average then those binaural sound's spatial cues don't work correctly.

I was so shocked going back to the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude yesterday for headphones. I had no headphones back then to use with the Auzentech X-Fi. Granted I'm only using the Dolby Digital Live part since the headphones are wireless but the card sounds totally different than the motherboard digital part. ALC898.

I'm not using CMSS-3D, don't like the sound of it. Yet I'm picking up footsteps very clearly. Even character voices/weapon switches.

I had to dial back the bass on the Auzentech which is lovely now. Lots of things I'm hearing now versus the onboard. Twinkly sounds? Lots of quiet stuff. Though I suppose the good thing with my setup is the card sits near the very top of the case since it is BTX therefor the power supply/electrical noise is so far away from the soundcard.

Soldato
Though I suppose the good thing with my setup is the card sits near the very top of the case since it is BTX therefor the power supply/electrical noise is so far away from the soundcard.
Unless you were using analog output from motherboard there shouldn't be any differences with stereo material, because of digital signal's interference resistance.
And unless PSU is some EMC failing plastic bling bling garbage its metal casing limits interference even if sound card is in bottommost slot directly above PSU.
Same also applies to case: Without some conductive coating or additive plastic (or glass) doesn't form Faraday cage.

But possible downmixing with game running in different output channel config, sample rate conversions and such can have effect.

Back
Top Bottom