Mouse recommendations please

Associate
Im an old fogey trying to get into pc gaming.Is it possible to have a mouse that can do the important things in a fps game.I mean instead of using the keyboard.IE crouch,run, throw grenades.Stuff like that.Im struggling with a keyboard.Another idea would be a 1 handed keyboard maybe better for me.

Cheers

Associate
you can try an mmo mouse
lots of buttons for you to setup as desired
i use the keyboard for wasd, shift (run) ctrl (crouch) and space for jump
the rest i can bind to the mouse, but i have loads spare, id not like it but you could add wasd on it if you wanted to

i use the corsair scimitar pro
it has an extra 12 buttons on the side (different profiles for different games)
there are different options
look for mmo/dota mice, they are the ones used to free up all the other keys

voice attack iv heard can be good too, assuming your not talking with others while you play

not sure if a pad would be an option for you, but the xbox controller is quite good for gaming
perhaps even a joystick if you can get to grips with it

im an old fart, i can only use keyboard and mouse, but i have a joystick i can see as usable https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thrustmaster-t-16000m-fcs-usb-pc-joystick-pc-2960773-gc-073-th.html
it has enough to let you cover all fps needs button wise, but again you would have to be comfortable using one for aiming with, if your used to a mouse it might take some time
there are duel joystick options too, if thats easier

its worth a thought
have a look into them, i can confirm i used to know good fps players who use all of those options, one handed the joystick or the mmo mouse would be my recommendation

Associate
OP
Icestorm,thank you for your detailed answer.I have a controller but playing against keyboard and mouse players i just get hammered.I use a controller for Tomb raider.I will look into your suggestions.Thanks again.

Regards

Mick

Permabanned
I use a g502 mouse which I have permanently configured so the switches correspond to keys 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,LMB and RMB. I then set up each game to use the 1-9 keys for whatever is useful. There aren't may games that need more. I don't like mmo mice, tend to keep activating the wrong button by mistake. Microsoft used to make something called the strategic commander. Problem was it was too slow with the wasd keys which made your character clumsy. Good idea but it didn't work very well. You can do the same as that with a left handed digital joystick.

Soldato
Im an old fogey trying to get into pc gaming.Is it possible to have a mouse that can do the important things in a fps game.I mean instead of using the keyboard.IE crouch,run, throw grenades.Stuff like that.

I've always done this.
I keep WASD, Shift (run) and Space (jump), along with maybe F (first aid) and maybe the Q and E. Everything else is generally a fiddle to reach when you're playing something fast, so it goes on the mouse.

My current setup uses a Logitech G700S. There are three extra buttons to the left of the index finger, and another four above the thumb. I have these mapped to reload, crouch, use/interact, grenade, map, and usually a couple of game-specific functions like secondary weapon functions or quick use items. You can also config the scroll wheel button and tilt, as well as the profile button on the top, if you need more.

Back
Top Bottom