Moving a private plate to a new car

Soldato
Helping a relative with a new car. She has a personal plate on her current car and wants to move it to her new car which is due in two weeks time.
I can't do it for her but it looks like you fill out the online form to release it from the current car, they send you a cert which you give to the new car supplier so they can put it on when you collect.

Question is when she does the first part do you get to choose when it changes and do they tell you then what reg it will be? She's going to be running round in the older car so obviously I've got to sort out new plates for the old car with the new number for it but I don't know how it actually works when you do it, plus wouldn't she have to tell her insurer of the change in number plate or how the hell does it all work?

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
If she's trading in her old car, then the garage can do the plate transfer on the day for you. Takes a matter of minutes to do this online these days. Certainly worked for me the last couple of cars.

Good luck.

Soldato
OP
The Dealer says he can't do it for her, I think because its brand new, BMW pdi has happened and they have allocated a standard plate but he will supply with her private plate if we can get the cert to him in time.
Ether way she has done the first part and removed it from the VW and is going to get plates from halfords today and tell the insurer. Thought i'd end up sorting it out but she's had a spurt of independence on and done it all which is great!

Soldato
it's simple

go online to transfer number plate
do the transfer to new car
once complete
update your insurance company with details of new car and also tell them that the plate has been transferred to said car
old car will then get it's previous plate assigned to it and new car will have new plate assigned to it.

done.

it will take a few days for dvla to send you new v5 with that plate on and for tax etc to transfer over properly, doesn't stop you from driving tho.

Soldato
The Dealer says he can't do it for her, I think because its brand new, BMW pdi has happened and they have allocated a standard plate but he will supply with her private plate if we can get the cert to him in time.
Ether way she has done the first part and removed it from the VW and is going to get plates from halfords today and tell the insurer. Thought i'd end up sorting it out but she's had a spurt of independence on and done it all which is great!

As long as you can get it sorted, that's ok then.

But they still should have been able to sort it. Both of my previous cars have been brand new on a PCP. They had gone through the normal pdi and had a standard plate allocated. When I brought the old car in, they just did the necessary online and swapped the plates off my old car onto the new car. When I take this car back next year, they will just transfer the number that was originally allocated, back into the car. And the cycle starts again .

Sounds to me more like they don't know what they are doing.

PS. I believe the only necessary thing is that both cars must on the day be registered to you. Which they would be if buying a new car. Just spoken to my mate that works for Border Cars and he confirms this is the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think its going to be ok, DVLA quote a couple of weeks to get the cert but when I brought one a few months back they said the same and it arrived in 3 days.

The only question I have is that relative is insistant that her old car never had a reg and was delivered with her private plate on (it was a new to her private plate at the time) but I think it still would have had an origonal registration she has just never seen it.

Dealer is specifically saying he can't tax a new car with the plate, maybe its because the tax is paid as part of the purchase and he would need to change the plates and then tax the car all while we were there? I dunno, he's not new to this all.. ether way it will be fine.

Caporegime
it's simple

once complete
update your insurance company with details of new car and also tell them that the plate has been transferred to said car
old car will then get it's previous plate assigned to it and new car will have new plate assigned to it.

done.

it will take a few days for dvla to send you new v5 with that plate on and for tax etc to transfer over properly, doesn't stop you from driving tho.

it's a brand new car so she won't have access to any of the info to do a direct transfer.

so retention then from retention onto new car by dealer or yourself once taken control

Soldato
it's simple

once complete

done.

Is there still a cost associated with moving a plate you have in retention to another car?

Back
Top Bottom