Moving home - Am I mad to consider hiring a van?

BTDTGTTS. Yes, you are mad. Get some mates to help you. You really don’t want to be shifting things like beds or fridges on your own.

Beyond that, double-check your licence:

Why, a Luton is the same category as a car.

A 7.5 tonne lorry is a different matter, but to honest even if you are entitled to drive one (and if you passed your test before 1997 you probably are) I'd think twice about it.

A few things to bare in mind when driving Lutons (and other van like things)

Mirrors are even more important, make sure you set them correctly (but not till you've got the seat in the right place).
When parking be aware of signs etc. Because a Luton has vertical sides you're much more likely to hit high things. Especially if the road has a camber.
When you arrive at junctions make sure you position the vehicle so you can see traffic coming from your left.
Make sure you get the hire company to show you how to use the tail lift.
It will take longer to stop when it's full of stuff. And if you slam the brakes on stuff is likely to get broken, so take it easy.

Lastly save up any old brankets, sofa cushions. They're handy for covering furniture and stuffing in gaps. And make sure you've got an good selection of screwdrivers, allen keys and also some sandwich bags (to keep screws in).

Having recently moved 3 weeks ago (first time in 25 years), I've got mentals scars from moving day still.
I hired a removals company and do not regret it for 1 second. I would absolutely not consider personally hiring a van if youhave to move a whole house.

I paid £630 in total for 2 lads for the day whole day and box vehicle, they turned up at 8:30am and were straight into it. The house was empty by 12:30 and that including the taking apart of the the settee, beds wardrobes which they re-erected on the other side.
They were with us until 9pm at night as we didnt get the keys until 4:30pm and they couldnt start unloading until 5pm..if that had been me I wouldn't havent been able to do it and as far as I'm concerned its about the best £600 I've ever spent.

Back
Top Bottom