Moving router recommendations!

Associate
Hi (sorry if something is wrong, I'm new here),

Just got my new Sky Fibre installed. I really want to move my router as its near the master socket in a awkward place (corner of the house, away from wired/wireless devices). My main goal is to increase/maintain my speeds and improve reliability, aesthetics and cabling does not matter to me.

Two potential solutions have already been ruled out for me; moving the master socket, and using powerline.

I am currently juggling between two other potential solutions, for which I am looking for some input on;
1) Extend 10m DSL - I can purchase a 10 meter CAT5e pair RJ11 cable to move my router from the master socket.
2) Split router from modem with 10m ethernet - I can turn my Sky router into a modem, and keep it close to the master socket. Then run a 10 meter ethernet cable from the modem to a new router.

I know for (1) its not best to run a long DSL cable as it can reduce speeds. That's why I hope running a longe ethernet like in (2) would be better. I'm not too worried about cost, as I was probably going to buy a new router in the near future anyways. Also is it fine to use the Sky modem/router as a stand-alone router or better to just buy a separate modem?

Sorry for the long read! Any advice/thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Soldato
10m extension will make bugger all difference, you can’t use the Sky router as a modem and plug in another router unless you like double NAT (hint: You probably don’t). You would need to use a modem and a router that supports Sky’s DHCP60/61 options. If your issue is WiFi, then adding an AP in a central location would likely give a better end result for relatively minimal outlay.

Associate
OP
10m extension will make bugger all difference, you can’t use the Sky router as a modem and plug in another router unless you like double NAT (hint: You probably don’t). You would need to use a modem and a router that supports Sky’s DHCP60/61 options. If your issue is WiFi, then adding an AP in a central location would likely give a better end result for relatively minimal outlay.

Thanks! Didn’t notice sky hub doesn’t have a modem mode, that’s disappointing. I think I’ll opt for the moving the router that way I can also utilise powerline in the new location.

I’m looking at two CAT5e RJ11 cable options:
1) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-30M-B...-/262043272656?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
2) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Infin...-/323152906616?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Any thought on the two cables?

Thanks so much for your help!

Soldato
Anything copper will be fine, at this sort of distance it's really not worth getting overly excited about. I would suggest that better options than powerline adapters exist, but it's down to what you need and if they work for you, then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom