Moving to a place without fibre. Spec me a modem.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Edit- my situation has changed, the place fell through but thread still useful for others in the situation.

Hi chaps.

So, I'm in the process of buying a place and it is perfect. The problem I have found is that while it's zone 2 in London, it has broadband on par with my other halves family who live in the sticks.

BT is reporting between 4-11mbit ADSL. No FTTC or Virgin options.

With that in mind, I could live with 11mbit if I have to so want to buy a modem that is likely to get the best from the line.

Ideally just a modem as I have an Edgerouter and UniFi AP which I'll be using still.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vigor 120 or 130 would be the usual go-to.

The situation might have changed, but they where one of the only ways to get a PPPoE device to raise a PPPoA connection.

Caporegime
Just bear in mind that the DrayTek's aren't the tweakable SnR, get the most out of the line you can type devices, they get fairly conservative sync rates and favour stability.

If you're in zone 2 you might be able to use Relish for bulk downloads, unfortunately their router is terrible so you'll be stuck double-NATing things if you wanted to use that with another router.

Permabanned
Yeah full bridge, half bridge, Snr tweaks, has a gb wan port but not sure you can use that with bridge mode but 100mb lan will be fine for you. Also vdsl for when your exchange upgrades. Broadcom chipset so as reliable as they come, and cheap too. I rate it highly.

Soldato
you wont get 11mbits. you never get the upper limit value on ADSL. have you checked you new house distance to the nearest BT box? Chances are you have FFTC in your new house but there is a waiting list so you need to keep an eye on the BT wholesale website for availability.

I lived in Stoke Newington and had similar issues but when FFTC came it was godsend.

Relish is a good alternative, but there are other 4G broadband providers so google them.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
OP
Sale fell through in the end so fingers crossed the next place we find is better served. I'm guessing it was the latter though. No capacity.

Any tips on 4G providers? Will have a google but any recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers.

Associate
Sale fell through in the end so fingers crossed the next place we find is better served. I'm guessing it was the latter though. No capacity.

Any tips on 4G providers? Will have a google but any recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers.

Take a look at some WISPs, there are quite a few to choose from in London. We had to setup an office in the space of a few days and went with Relish it was solid and quick.

Soldato
Relish is the first on the list.

but I came across more 4G providers when doing broadband deal searches.

put the post code of the house that fell through and see what services you can get.

I think 4G/5G is the way forward for basic internet access. if you want fast speeds >50mbits then hardline broadband. i think relish is 20mbits typically (although they say it is upto 40mbits)

Man of Honour
5G possibly but not convinced by 4G as always viable for people who don't want / can't get fast speeds but do want reliability and low latency. 4G is around 2-3x the download and 10x the upload speed of my broadband but not suitable for gaming.

Definitely has its uses as a backup or quick setup option however.

Back
Top Bottom