Moving to Azure?

Associate
Use OneDrive sync. That's how I access our "tech docs" which are all hosted in SharePoint. No re-auth issues, and as long as the directory sizes are kept manageable you won't have sync issues either.

Sync the SharePoint sites and it's like a mapped network drive, you can also get it to show files in Teams as well.

Associate
Use OneDrive sync. That's how I access our "tech docs" which are all hosted in SharePoint. No re-auth issues, and as long as the directory sizes are kept manageable you won't have sync issues either.

Exactly this. We took a 4TB on premise file server with 7 department network shares on it and stuck it in OneDrive using separate O365 groups. People can sync the folders to their file explorer using OneDrive Sync and Files On Demand means that no one is gonna fill up their disk by accident. No need to go anywhere near Azure or similar.

Soldato
For a file server, I'd go straight to Azure Files. It's simple and fairly straightforward to deploy - it's far cheaper than standing up a VM too. Probably take a day or so to set up if you're learning it for the first time.

If you want a proper server, I'd just use Azure Migrate to move your file server straight to the cloud. Azure Migrate will right-size it for you during the assessment phase, so you're not paying over the top amounts. Super simple to set up. Probably half a days work starting from zero.

For connectivity, just deploy an Azure VPN Gateway and set up a IPSEC VPN back to your HQ. Loads of scripts for this - can always share the one I use for doing the base networking if you're stuck.

I haz 4090!
Don
Ok explain the lesson please you got me interested

One of the two most common forms of data leakage in the cloud is having RDP access open without any restrictions on IP. Weak admin passwords on those boxes then allow people to access them fairly easily (even basic "complex" passwords aren't impossible to crack). The other method is weak passwords in general as people migrate from on-prem into Azure / Office 365.

There are guardrails you can put in place that make this method impossible, but you need knowledge of the platform. Your average Joe who goes "Yay cloud!!" (it's always developers, always), will deploy infrastructure and then call it a job done.

Again, it is not a platform issue, it is a knowledge issue. I spend my days explaining this stuff to people.

Back
Top Bottom