Moving to London from within UK

Associate
Anyone here got any tips on how I could move to London from within the UK? Not looking for anything flash for a single person, just a decent space with basic stuff, somewhere in the city or on the outskirts and rent in gonna have to be the way to go but I only have £950 a month .

Getting registered as well as with a Gp is something I need above most things too.

Let it all flood in, thanks. (Y)

Man of Honour
£950 will get you a nice place 1/2 bed flat around Hitchin and Letchworth area. Hell, £800 should do it.
Train links to London are better they were a year ago when they buggered about with the trains. *gnashing of teeth* About 30 minutes to Kings Cross/St Pancreas
Both are nice places, Hitchin is busier and has more shops, Letchworth is quieter.

Avoid Stevenage.

Soldato
Avoiding Stevenage is sage advice. Hitchin has more life to it than Letchworth which always felt like a load of housing estates surrounding a few shops.

As Flibster posted, Hitchin is great if the trains are running well. If they’re not, you’re stuffed.

£950 PCM isn’t going to get you anything in a decent part of central London.

img

img

Associate
though it's 5.5k for a season ticket from hitchin and you need to have the killer instinct to get the only free seat.

Soldato
I may be wrong about the outskirts but from what I can see you won't be living along for under £1000 anywhere inside zones 1-6.

Can you tell us more - do you have a job lined up, do you need to get to a particular area or built up towns etc?

Soldato
I think with that budget if you want to be in say zone 1-4 your best bet is a house or flat share if you want something nice and well located.

Even doing this short term can be useful to let you suss out an area or work journey. With London I've always felt west is best place to be, I'm not a big fan of busy city living but I found Chiswick to be good to live in, Richmond is also nice - though both are expensive they have pretty good transport links.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Living in London is not cheap - gonna struggle at that kind of money to find somewhere that is close enough you aren't dealing with a tiring and costly commute. Some companies will pay towards your commute costs in London but that is pretty hit and miss if an employer does that.

My knowledge on the matter is over a decade old now but been there done that and as much as I love London after ~4 years I'd had enough and moved out again.

EDIT: Looking at my old area around Bromley - you are either looking at a house share (actually some fairly decent sized rooms) at around £600/m or starting at £1000/m really for a decent flat/apartment - there are some around 900 though. Bare in mind though the rent will almost certainly get pushed up ("in line with the area BS") in a year or two another £100-200/m unless you don't mind moving around a bit to keep costs down.

Last edited:
Soldato
As said, much more info is needed. Do you need to be near a tube station? This has a massive effect on rent costs. If you can get a place away from a station and cycle or something like that, you could save yourself quite a lot in £££. Also, the obvious thing of nicer areas are going to cost a lot more than the not so nice areas. You often don't work out how nice and area is until you move in, so me careful with that one. If something is cheap, there's likely a reason.

Soldato
Really, really depends on where your work is, London is big.

I wouldn't ever voluntarily submit to an overland train commute, apart from the eye-watering cost of season tickets, rammed trains, regular suicides etc, it's just a miserable way to exist. If you're going to do London, then live in London. I would go for a house/flat share in a decent area over a place to yourself in a rough area.

Soldato
You can easily get a double room in a house/flat share for £950pm. Consider it for 6-12 months to see what you want to do.

Where will you be working?

- While you may get more for your money further out often the travel time is huge and it can be costly if you have to get overland.
- Some areas are really fun and depending on where your job is your commute may be rapid (don't underestimate this!). Brixton, Clapham, Camden - all fun.

Man of Honour
Really, really depends on where your work is, London is big.

I wouldn't ever voluntarily submit to an overland train commute, apart from the eye-watering cost of season tickets, rammed trains, regular suicides etc, it's just a miserable way to exist. If you're going to do London, then live in London. I would go for a house/flat share in a decent area over a place to yourself in a rough area.

Ah the memories - I used to fortunately just miss the crowds overland - terminating Waterloo East - it was like a horde of zombies on London Bridge, etc. I'd be so glad I wasn't on the next train and/or going the other direction.

Soldato
Ah the memories - I used to fortunately just miss the crowds overland - terminating Waterloo East - it was like a horde of zombies on London Bridge, etc. I'd be so glad I wasn't on the next train and/or going the other direction.

I commuted in from Basingstoke for a while, and from Reading for a bit too. It's miserable. Everyone I know that has done it is a wreck of a human being, constantly tired and ****** off. Not worth it at all. If you really must work in London, then live in it. If you can't afford to live in it, then don't work in it.

Living in Barnes and commuting to the City had the inestimable pleasure of getting on at the start of the Hammersmith & City line so getting a seat every morning, and just donning headphones and closing eyes to ignore the madness until I hopped off at Aldgate East, was just about tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom