Moving to the USA, best way to sell PC?

Soldato
Ship it? I did when I moved over. Doesn't cost much at all. Just make sure you get decent insurance and take the storage with you on the flight (checked in bags unless you're super paranoid) and you'll be fine.

Soldato
I took my PC to the US a couple of times when I was over here for a few months at a time, I ditched my case and bought a Benchtable, then just whacked everything in boxes and checked it through - reassembled at the other end, no problem :)

Soldato
Back in 2004 I moved my system to the US from the UK. Then the US to the UK in 2011 then finally to the UK to India in 2015.

As other posters have said. GPU, CPU, HDs, Cooler, Ram, PSU, MB bubble wrapped and hand luggage. Buy a new case out there. The only hard thing to ship will be the monitor.

However if you are 100% adamant on taking a loss on it and having the hassle of selling it, then strip it down for fleabay and gumtree.

The only benefit of selling is giving yourself a reason to upgrade over there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m already taking an extra bag so I can’t take it with me that way.

To transport it is expensive and a lot of hassle.

When I’m there I will be busy moving around between a few places initially so I’d rather not have a PC for the time being.

In other words, I just want to sell it and the monitor. Just wanted advice from some members here. I thought about selling the parts individually but again that takes time and effort beyond what I can afford at this moment - I have a lot happening in a short space of time.

I’m still in the U.K. for the next few weeks.

If everything is far to much hassle then simply donate the PC to charity, one less problem in this busy time for you to have to deal with.

Caporegime
I also wish to sell my PC quickly but I presume the responses only apply if one is moving to the USA which I am not???

i sold one on gumtree within 2 weeks. so did a mate. albeit mine was like £450 his was £1000.

the thing with gumtree is it's full of tight morons. apart from the pc section. it genuinely has the more smarter buyers. because the morons wouldn't know what a good pc is.

price it well and it should sell.

i'll be looking to sell another soon.

Soldato
The real question here is how are you moving to USA, been trying to for years.

In a nutshell, sell your ridiculously overpriced UK home and with the equity, buy a biz in the US, and make sure it meets the criteria for an E2 Visa (investor visa) Once you're in the country, go about getting a greencard. For me that meant using the EAD card that comes with the E2 visa (normally for your other half) However we put biz in wife's name, and i took the EAD. Using my technical skills I found a job. Then, once i knew they liked me, I hit em up with will you sponsor me.. cos your foot is already in the door, they'll hopefully say yes.. Then for the next few yrs, run through a few business and immigration minefields ! and hopefully you'll come out the other end with permanent residency, and not sent back to blighty bankrupt.

Or like many do, marry an American girl, and put up with all the quacking. NO THANKS. I'll keep the British wife and go the more complicated route, thank you very much !

Or another way is intercompany transfer, if you have a high position in your corporation and its an intercontinental corporation, there's a way in there. Or Become a famous /athlete / actor / religious worker, Or like someone else did above. Buy a greencard with a 500k investment. aka the EB5, while doing not a lot !

Maybe they still do dodgy H1B agencies still. But Trump has clamped down on those, cos it was really more geared getting lesser paid Indians into the country, and pay them less then your average American's worker.

You can also study here, (again expensive) and once your in, marry or find an employer who'll then sponsor you.

Bottom line.....Unless you marry an American its really not all that easy. Investment being key. Probably akin to starting a biz in the UK x2. you're going to risk a lot of money and things do have to fall at your feet the right way for it to all be successful. But for me its been worth it. But i was younger and able to take more risk back then.

Back
Top Bottom