US: Mr InBetween

Associate
Cant find a seperate thread for this so here goes.

Australian series about Ray Shoesmith, an enforcer for the Melbourne mob struggling to balance this home life with his rather unpleasant job.

If it all sounds a bit like Barry, its actually quite different in style and plot, its a drama with a lot of dark humour, much more in common with the likes of the Chopper (Reid ) movie, Underbelly tv series etc.

It has been shown in the UK on Fox as recently as October last year, but unfortunately isnt on their catchup / Now TV at the moment. Plus Fox channel closes end of June and a lot of it is going to Disney + , so dont know if this will pop up on there.

Series 3 starts on the 26th May in the US and presumably Australia.

Very funny , brilliantly acted series, only recently found it via Reddit and binged through it in record time.

Soldato
There is a thread about this somewhere Im fairly sure. Great series.

There is a film that was the template for this. The magician, written and starring the same guy made to look like a film student film.

Soldato
There is a thread about this somewhere Im fairly sure. Great series.

There is a film that was the template for this. The magician, written and starring the same guy made to look like a film student film.

I've only seen it discussed in the "What are you watching" threads i think.

As mentioned, great show and will keep an eye out for the new series.

Associate
OP
Final final episode next week. Not a stretch to guess its going to be bloody. S3 has been very dark.

Shame that will be it and its not that well known in the Uk.

jcr

jcr

Associate
liked the last season as much as the previous ones.
it looks like theres potential for more to come though, so fingers crossed. for example, the way it ended, and also when he asked the crime boss to lay of his mate a bit, over the debt, and said he'd repay the favour.

Soldato
Sadly it's no more. Ray has decided he wants to work on other projects.. I'm especially gutted as I think this is the best thing since breaking bad.

I don't understand his reasoning tbh. Took him years to get this as a show and then gives up after 3 seasons due to struggling to write it for something. Has to be something else to it imo.

Got the last episode of S3 to watch tonight, I will rate it a firm 9/10 with only a couple of niggles, the episodes should have been longer and the main character doesn't look hard enough, brilliant show.
Apparently there is a film related to this, has anyone seen it?

Associate
OP
I've seen the film "The Magician" , it was free on Prime, not sure if still there.
** edit , its there but now for rent not free.

I didnt like it as much as I expected, its very dark and theres less humour, Ray is a much more psychotic serial killer ( which he still is really ). I guess you could see it as Ray 15 years younger. fresh out the army , without a lot of empathy, without a family etc.

I like that he doesnt necessarily look hard enough, thats part of the fun with him getting underestimated and making a mess of people with a one or two punches. He's what i'd imagine a lot of ex soldiers actually look like. Short , wirey, tache , not to be annoyed etc.

Enyjoyed S3, sad to watch knowing it would be the last. Best episode(s) still for me are the last two of series one where he first meets Dave and has to deal with Davros. Comedy gold.

Shame it was a bit buired away in the UK and not available anywhere to stream. Netflix would have been perfect.

I've seen the film "The Magician" , it was free on Prime, not sure if still there.
** edit , its there but now for rent not free.

I didnt like it as much as I expected, its very dark and theres less humour, Ray is a much more psychotic serial killer ( which he still is really ). I guess you could see it as Ray 15 years younger. fresh out the army , without a lot of empathy, without a family etc.

I like that he doesnt necessarily look hard enough, thats part of the fun with him getting underestimated and making a mess of people with a one or two punches. He's what i'd imagine a lot of ex soldiers actually look like. Short , wirey, tache , not to be annoyed etc.

Enyjoyed S3, sad to watch knowing it would be the last. Best episode(s) still for me are the last two of series one where he first meets Dave and has to deal with Davros. Comedy gold.

Shame it was a bit buired away in the UK and not available anywhere to stream. Netflix would have been perfect.

Thanks for that, I will check it out sometime.

Associate
OP
Have just resubscribed to Disney plus and this little gem has all 3 seasons available to stream.

For whatever reason my age settings were at 14 , probably there was no adult content when I last tried it.

So remember to change your age settings to 18+ in your Profile under Content Rating, or this wont show up if you search etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
True, but this was being shown in the US and not in the Uk at the time, so posted it here. Probably no reason not to post in the main bit, but it wasnt on any Uk catch ups etc.

With so many different streaming services and stuff coming and going ( and sometimes coming back) plus stuff people access legitimately but via vpn hacks be that completely outside the Uk .. Hbo max etc or Netflix but with a Vpn for Us only content, dunno the best way to split them.

Back
Top Bottom