MS Flight Simulator 2020 - Vive - GTX 1060?

Soldato
Hi all,

Just a quick one to ask if anyone has tried MS Flight Simulator 2020 in VR using a GTX 1060 or lower spec GPU? It's to run on the ASUS TUF FX504GM laptop.

If it doesn't, is there much scope to upgrade the GPU in the laptop?

I can't comment directly as I haven't tried but the one advantage you have is that the vive is relatively low res compared to contemporary headsets which makes it easier to run.

That said, it will certainly be a struggle. Your CPU in an older laptop will no doubt be almost as much of a problem as GPU to be honest - even my 5800X struggles to reliably maintain over 40-45fps in VR with middle of the road settings.

There is no real scope for upgrading laptop GPU. Your only real option there would be an eGPU.

If you have the Vive and laptop already, just buy a month of gamepass and try it out... if you decide to purchase just do so from the Microsoft store while gamepass is still active and you'll get a discount too.

Thanks Zeeflyboy. A new build might be the answer. It's for a relative and I don't want to drag them into a self-build and the GPU stock nightmare.

They are open to buying a gaming PC so I'll see what pre-built PCs there are that will run it.

Can anyone advise from their own experience what they feel the bare minimum CPU/GPU would be for MS Flight Sim. I'm not asking for the minimum requirements to run, but rather I am asking from the POV of the minimum required to make it a nice experience.

I run a 9700 with a 2070S and still don't rate how it performs in VR using a Rift S. The only way that I can get acceptable frame rates is by running the graphics in fairly low settings.

Two ways to view that (IMO). The first one is that it's really badly optimised. The second is that it's extremely future proofed, anticipating future hardware.

Flight Sim 2020 is badly optimised, mainly on the CPU side. It doesn't properly support processors with lots of cores, which means that the game becomes CPU limited, while most of the cores are idle.

Can anyone advise from their own experience what they feel the bare minimum CPU/GPU would be for MS Flight Sim. I'm not asking for the minimum requirements to run, but rather I am asking from the POV of the minimum required to make it a nice experience.
I can tell you my experience of it: I had gtx 1080 with a rift s and it was poor. Upgraded to rtx 3090 and g2, settings in game are high, and its fine. Gpu made all the difference for me. My cpu is a 4 year old i7 7700k. For good vr experience I think a 2xxx or preferably 3xxx card would be ideal.

To run this at half decent visuals and to get 30 FPS we struggle right now on high end systems over big citys more so ...It will get optimised better in future updates but for now on that sepc id leave it

Not flightsim 2020, but I have found that Aerofly 2 is a much better VR experience. The plane models are somewhat simpler, however I generally fly the more simple GA planes anyway. Open cockpits in VR are awesome. It's requirements are much lower. I could run pretty high settings with a 6700K and 980Ti on a CV1.

Certainly runs a lot better, but I’m not sure I’d call it a better experience personally.

I hear the helis are pretty good in aerofly though.

Not flightsim 2020, but I have found that Aerofly 2 is a much better VR experience. The plane models are somewhat simpler, however I generally fly the more simple GA planes anyway. Open cockpits in VR are awesome. It's requirements are much lower. I could run pretty high settings with a 6700K and 980Ti on a CV1.

I had never heard of it before you mentioned it but it looks like the solution for the time being.

Thank you everyone in this thread for helping me understand just how poorly optimised FS 2020 is, saving time and money on trying to make it run on that laptop. We were heading down the rabbit hole of building another PC or buying a pre-built gaming PC but those options have their own headaches.

The whole thing is for a relative buying a gift for another relative who owns a Vive and the OP laptop. I showed them Aerofly 2 after Post #8 and I think it's the way forward, for now.

Thank you everyone in this thread for helping me understand just how poorly optimised FS 2020 is

Poor optimisation is the reason I've got to faff around tweaking settings to get acceptable performance on an RTX 3060 Ti.

Poor optimisation isn't the problem in the context of this laptop. It's simply nowhere close to being powerful enough. It's basically on the minimum requirements for running in "flat" mode.

Back
Top Bottom