MS SQL database editor

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking for a free/open source MS SQL editor. Something I can run from my machine and connect to a remote database.

Any suggestions?

Associate
OP
I've tried SQL Server Management Studio. It seems overkill for what I wanted to do. It wasn't very intuitive and so I couldn't work out how to connect to and edit my database.

Edit: More specifically, I receievd an error when trying to connect to my database;
A network-related or instance-specific error occured while establishing a connection to SQL server
Very good, but what does that mean? And why won't it connect?

I'm after something similar to phpMyAdmin. Something which will easily allow me to edit my database.

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
How were you trying to connect? Is there a firewall on your/your servers machine blocking the connection (I can connect to remote databases fine)?

I haven't found anything better so far.

Associate
OP
I'm using Connect Object Explorer. I've selected Database Engine as Server type, entered the correct IP under Server Name, SQL Server Authentication and then entered the correct login details.

67156536.jpg

daz

daz

Soldato
Sounds like a firewall is blocking your connection - you may have to speak to your hosting company to enable you to connect remotely.

Associate
You can't use the named pipes protocol to a remote machine. Change to TCP/IP in the Client Network Utility.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Also try using options > connection properties > connection protocol > tcp/ip too on the connect window.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
As has been said above, it certainly sounds like a Firewall issue.

In fact hang on....

...yep get the same error here if I close the port on our Firewall and try to connect to our remote server.

Associate
I've changed the Network Protocol to TCP/IP. No joy.

Did you restart the MSSQL service after enabling TCP/IP?

Are you connecting to the correct instance?

I wouldn't criticise SQL Management Studio (especially because you can't figure out how to connect to a server). It really is excellent compared to other Database Management Systems that I've used.

Associate
Can you telnet to the remote machine on port 1433?

This is what you wanna try ^^

If that doesnt work check that the TCP/IP service is running in Configuration Manager and verify the port its running on, run this in DOS window:

netstat -an

and look for port 1433 - or the port specified in configuration manager/tcpip, or alternatively install windows grep and grep it out of the list.

SQL Management Studio is it, I dont think there is anything close to it for free let alone better.

You might also want to look at Business Intelligence Development Studio.

You can also query the database using the command line "sql".

Associate
OP
I've just spoken to the hosting company. They do not have a block on remote connections.
Did you restart the MSSQL service after enabling TCP/IP?
I did.
Are you connecting to the correct instance?
I am.
topbanana said:
Can you telnet to the remote machine on port 1433?
I cannot.

A message is displayed; "Could not open connection to the host, on port 1433: Connect failed"
If that doesnt work check that the TCP/IP service is running in Configuration Manager and verify the port its running on, run this in DOS window:

netstat -an

and look for port 1433 - or the port specified in configuration manager/tcpip
1433 is the port specified. The service is running in Configuration Manager but does not appear in the list when a run a netstat -an.

I have no experience with Windows grep. What does it do and how will it help me here?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Hmm.. are you trying to connect to the www.domain.com address or the same address you use in your ASP scripts etc to connect to the database? The reason I ask is that I once had to connect to mssql.domain.com for it to work.

Top Bottom