MS Virutal PC + some Unix ideas :S

Associate
I'm not entirely sure if Virtual PC support Linux, I think it does but badly. I'd also have a look at VmWare Server (which has recently released a free version).

Back to your question: Most popular versions of Linux on here are: Ubuntu, SuSE and Gentoo. I recommend Ubuntu or SuSE if you haven't used Linux before. When using VMWare, I've always burned the isos to CDs and then got Vmware to boot from CD (but I think you can get round this someway - but I always did this because I like a hard copy). Then it's just a case of following the install instructions.

Associate
OP
sounds good, i've tried it with the Debian (not sure about it) cus i will probably sticking a C compiler on there to use for me uni work. i think i will look at ubuntu

Last edited:
Soldato
Take a look at my thread on VMWare server. I installed Scientific Linux on it and now trying Windows 2003 Server for learning about it.

Just remember that Windows XP only allows one web site so you need to disable the default one in IIS so that it runs properly (Windows server doesn't have this limitation).

Associate
vmware will mount an iso file as its cd-rom. if you use the vmware client software you can also mount the cd-rom on your local machine as the vm's cd-rom.

i found the vmware client software to be a bit flakey. kept erroring like mad. it did keep on running though, so maybe i had a bad install.

Back
Top Bottom