MSFS 2020 and VR - GPU/Headset Combo

Associate
Yes. A lot!

3070FE + 5600x + Quest2

It is noticeably better. I have not measured fps but it felt much better than before. Absolutely playable on quest 2 at the 1.5 resolution multiplier. I am not using FS2020 ultra settings across the board - but they are nowhere near minimum either.
Nice! Heard a lot of people who play flight sim cap it to 45 or 40fps as it's so demanding, you do that or just let it run however it runs?

Associate
Nice! Heard a lot of people who play flight sim cap it to 45 or 40fps as it's so demanding, you do that or just let it run however it runs?

Before the update 5 i was capping it at 30fps. Since the update I have not used occulus tray tool to cap fps as it just seems to work. To me it seems pretty smooth and I have no kind of motion sickness from it - even if I fly over large cities.

Last edited:
Associate
Before the update 5 i was capping it at 30fps. Since the update I have not used occulus tray tool to cap fps as it just seems to work. To me it seems pretty smooth and I have no kind of motion sickness from it - even if I fly over large cities.
Nice! It's possible that you are having some asw kicking in as I've definitely not heard of anyone getting a smooth 80-90hz with flight sim! But certainly sounds good

Associate
Nice! It's possible that you are having some asw kicking in as I've definitely not heard of anyone getting a smooth 80-90hz with flight sim! But certainly sounds good

Interesting - you are right there is no way I am getting 80-90 fps. I had the quest2 set to 120 fps so ASW must have been kicking in.

I shall try setting the fps cap with OTT at 50 and see if it improves things again.

Associate
Interesting - you are right there is no way I am getting 80-90 fps. I had the quest2 set to 120 fps so ASW must have been kicking in.

I shall try setting the fps cap with OTT at 50 and see if it improves things again.
You might have hit 60 and had asw on the whole time. If you didn't notice then I guess it's doing its job :D even hitting 60fps is impressive though!

Soldato
Let us know your results! Curious to know what the very best can muster with the latest update!

On the default VR settings (which seem to be medium for most options), I could only muster around 45-50fps on a Valve Index with my 3090FE and 3900x. However, running the headset at 144hz and letting it reproject gave a fairly smooth response with minimal stuttering - that was in New York which I imagine is one of the densest areas. My Headset was set to 150%ss but dropping that didn't seem to make any difference.

The GPU was running at 98%, but only got to 67 degrees, which shows it wasn't really stressing. The CPU was running about 75%, but looking at the stats the cores weren't really being maxed out either. However the experience was definitely playable.

I need to check what settings to adjust to get the best combo of performance and visuals, but it looked pretty great anyway.

Associate
On the default VR settings (which seem to be medium for most options), I could only muster around 45-50fps on a Valve Index with my 3090FE and 3900x. However, running the headset at 144hz and letting it reproject gave a fairly smooth response with minimal stuttering - that was in New York which I imagine is one of the densest areas. My Headset was set to 150%ss but dropping that didn't seem to make any difference.

The GPU was running at 98%, but only got to 67 degrees, which shows it wasn't really stressing. The CPU was running about 75%, but looking at the stats the cores weren't really being maxed out either. However the experience was definitely playable.

I need to check what settings to adjust to get the best combo of performance and visuals, but it looked pretty great anyway.
That sounds like pretty much the best that I've heard anyone talk about performance-wise, especially in dense cities as you say! Obviously we're talking about top if the line there though!

Soldato
I had a go with it. First time playing FS and quest 2.
3080ti and 5800x. 150ss.
VR defaults to medium.
The cockpit looks incredible. The landscape and buildings are ok. I didnt have fps showing but it felt smooth.

Comparing it to 2d it doesn't look as nice. Runs beautifully ultrawide 1440p ultra everything.

Will need some tweaks in settings to get the right balance in VR.

Soldato
Ok I used this blokes settings:

Only thing I changed was putting it down to 1.3 SS. Ultra settings.
1.2 becomes a little muddy.
1.4 is a bit too much. I got stuttering if I flew low and looked down to the sides.
There are three different options to x1.3. Went with the lowest version. Enough to make things sharp and no stuttering.
Make sure you switch ASW off.

This gives me 33-35 fps in London.
45-47 fps outside.

Blown away now. Didn't see myself playing this in VR but it's going to be glued to my head. :D

Started the first leg from Croatia to Santorini. 28 minute first flight, currently landed in a field strip. Loving it. What escapism!

Last edited:
Associate
Ok I used this blokes settings:

Only thing I changed was putting it down to 1.3 SS. Ultra settings.
1.2 becomes a little muddy.
1.4 is a bit too much. I got stuttering if I flew low and looked down to the sides.
There are three different options to x1.3. Went with the lowest version. Enough to make things sharp and no stuttering.
Make sure you switch ASW off.

This gives me 33-35 fps in London.
45-47 fps outside.

Blown away now. Didn't see myself playing this in VR but it's going to be glued to my head. :D

Started the first leg from Croatia to Santorini. 28 minute first flight, currently landed in a field strip. Loving it. What escapism!
Out of curiosity why are you turning asw off? Wouldn't it be better given that you're hovering between 30-50fps in vr? I would find that pretty uncomfortable

Soldato
Out of curiosity why are you turning asw off? Wouldn't it be better given that you're hovering between 30-50fps in vr? I would find that pretty uncomfortable

I would agree but it seems this is the thing to do with this. I was getting micro stuttering when flying low and looking down out the sides. Didn't matter what settings.

Put ASW off and it's all gone. This is what is being suggested by pretty much all tubers.

Also as a note. The 30-50 I'm getting. Unless you have an fps counter you wouldn't know. It runs very smooth.

I put in a fan curve this morning and shaved 6 degrees of my GPU temps. Now sitting at 65 GPU, 75 hot spot and 80-85 memory temps when stressed and playing this. Pleased.

Associate
I would agree but it seems this is the thing to do with this. I was getting micro stuttering when flying low and looking down out the sides. Didn't matter what settings.

Put ASW off and it's all gone. This is what is being suggested by pretty much all tubers.

Also as a note. The 30-50 I'm getting. Unless you have an fps counter you wouldn't know. It runs very smooth.

I put in a fan curve this morning and shaved 6 degrees of my GPU temps. Now sitting at 65 GPU, 75 hot spot and 80-85 memory temps when stressed and playing this. Pleased.
Huh will bear that in mind then thanks! Going to try this myself soon, was waiting for the vr performance to be relatively stable to dig in! Hopefully won't destroy my 2080 ti but should be fine, won't be as smooth as your 3080 ti though

Soldato
Huh will bear that in mind then thanks! Going to try this myself soon, was waiting for the vr performance to be relatively stable to dig in! Hopefully won't destroy my 2080 ti but should be fine, won't be as smooth as your 3080 ti though

Just reduce with a mixture of high and ultra. Start with 1.2ss then go from there. I've been playing around a lot with settings so happy to help when you try it.

Soldato
Wow, this is actually playable in VR now. Just went through the first bunch of flight tutorials over Sedona in VR and it was actually very good. Hotas isn't quite cutting it and might need to get a yoke/pedal setup now. Any recommendations?

Associate
Wow, this is actually playable in VR now. Just went through the first bunch of flight tutorials over Sedona in VR and it was actually very good. Hotas isn't quite cutting it and might need to get a yoke/pedal setup now. Any recommendations?
'Honeycomb alpha' yoke is really good, i bought 1 used from ebay but some switches were faulty so returned it. But new theyre sold out. Logitech yoke isnt sold out and is much cheaper but reviews aren't as good. For pedals the best budget options are logitech and thrustmaster. I went with thrustmaster as they were a bit cheaper and reviews were ok. They're decent.

Back
Top Bottom