• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 1060 3GB with 1280 CUDA in laptop flash 6GB

Associate
Hello,

I have a laptop MSI GP62mvr 7rf with a 1060 3GB BUT with 1280 CUDA cores, same that 1060 6GB. My question is if anybody have try flash a 6GB vBIOS in those cards, because this version is the same that the 6GB version maybe only a maybe with 3GB disable .

I found a bios from a gp62mrv 6rf with a 1060 6GB in techpower.

The second question if nobody have test this, if I flash the bios of the 6GB will be a brick or will be usable the card and I will be able to flash the old vBIOS.

Thanks.

Soldato
I wouldnt risk it. Manufacturers dont normally install RAM then fit a GPU that disables it this is a waste of money. Just means you have a full fat 1060 not a cut down mobile version. Open the laptop up if out of warranty and look where the GPU is and count the RAM chips.

Soldato
I wouldnt risk it. Manufacturers dont normally install RAM then fit a GPU that disables it this is a waste of money. Just means you have a full fat 1060 not a cut down mobile version. Open the laptop up if out of warranty and look where the GPU is and count the RAM chips.

you say that but wasn't the RX470 just a RX480 at first with half the ram and stuff disabled in the bios, at least on release.

Soldato
Not on a laptop though space is at a premium they normally dont install RAM then not bother using it. Open the Laptop up and check what RAM is on the board. Only way to tell to be safe via a visual check. Alternatively see if you can google that laptop and look for a disassemble youtube video that might show the motherboard in full. Or look on google images for a full picture of the motherboard.

Associate
you say that but wasn't the RX470 just a RX480 at first with half the ram and stuff disabled in the bios, at least on release.
It was the first wave of 4gb RX480s that were really just 8gb ones with some of the ram switched off. I believe it was a case of them only making 8gb models at first but wanted to have a launch price under $200 so they released the "4GB" version in limited numbers under $200, but very quickly people worked it out and started flashing them.

Once the first lot had sold out there was a long wait before more 4gb versions were seen again and they only had 4gb.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, but sometimes the manufacturers just disable half of the ram for the demand.

Exactly that.

GPUZ.PNG

This GPUZ is of a GP62MVR 7RF with a 1060 6GB.

https://ibb.co/2KPtqNK

The second is mine. Sorry couldn’t post correctly the image.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the reply, but sometimes the manufacturers just disable half of the ram for the demand.

On discrete cards I agree it has happened but its different on laptops the graphics card most of the time is now built onto the motherboard and they wouldnt put RAM on it then not use it because of space. A plug in PCIE card looks nothing like the GPU on the motherboard apart from the GPU chip itself and the RAM, I've told you how to check its upto you now.

Associate
OP
On discrete cards I agree it has happened but its different on laptops the graphics card most of the time is now built onto the motherboard and they wouldnt put RAM on it then not use it because of space. A plug in PCIE card looks nothing like the GPU on the motherboard apart from the GPU chip itself and the RAM, I've told you how to check its upto you now.

Yes, I had disassembled the laptop, but I have to remove the heatpipe completely:(, right now I don’t want.

Do you know if I flash the 6GB vBios can be bricked or maybe only works with artifacts and other defects but I can flash again the older vBios?

Man of Honour
I'm going with a 1% chance tops. I cant remember the last time nvidia gimped a card at the bios whereas amd have at least a few skus every gen.

Soldato
+1 above but we cant tell you whether it will work or not unless you can find someone else that has done it. I would remove the heatpipe its easy to do and better than a dead laptop. Whilst you are at it replace the TIM. I did a google search and there is a 6rf motherboard on google images which might be very similiar and you can see the GPU with the heatpipe removed. You really need to help yourself first there are things like this you can do, another is to try and find a service manual.

Back
Top Bottom