MSI B450 Tomahawk PWM fan control broke?

Caporegime
Hi all,

After putting the newest bios on, I noticed that my fans weren't set for PWM so I have enabled smart fan control mode and the PWM mode, however, when using hwinfo, it seems like the fans aren't adjusting their speeds

Cp6kLWd.png

The sys1fan is DC mode as it's only 3 pin but the sysfan 3 and 4 are akassa apache 120mm PWM fans

LwmspXa.jpg

Soldato
You need to put some load on the CPU so the temperatures rise and the fan speeds should pick up - your screenshot shows an average CPU temp of 33.2 which is below the minimum temperature you've set in BIOS (40c), until your CPU gets above 40c the fans won't ramp up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
You need to put some load on the CPU so the temperatures rise and the fan speeds should pick up - your screenshot shows an average CPU temp of 33.2 which is below the minimum temperature you've set in BIOS (40c), until your CPU gets above 40c the fans won't ramp up.

Sorry should have explained it better but are the sys/case fans not running rather high considering the temps are low.

akassa apache should be able to drop to 600rpm iirc.

Also, the cpu fan shouldn't be running at that high of a RPM given it's temp?

Soldato
Does your BIOS have a fan autotuning feature where it goes through and detects the fans charecteristics? Otherwise try setting to DC mode rather than PWM for fan control as this should definately work.

Soldato
Are they 20c out? I had that problem on my MSI carbon b450 but it was fixed in the latest bios update and only effected fans set to CPU

Basically the CPU temp was 20c out so 40c was 60c in reality so it looked like they weren't doing anything in windows, might be worth a check

Caporegime
OP
Does your BIOS have a fan autotuning feature where it goes through and detects the fans charecteristics? Otherwise try setting to DC mode rather than PWM for fan control as this should definately work.
Not too sure abut that tbh.

I'll need to jump back into the BIOS later to have a look. But I think the above photo is the only thing I have with regards to fan controls.

I did try DC too but it also doesn't adjust the fan speeds.

Originally, the smart fan mode was disabled and DC was enabled and things appeared to work as they should in terms of the fans changing RPM, however, I thought PWM would have been better and having the case fans set to work with the system temps.

Are they 20c out? I had that problem on my MSI carbon b450 but it was fixed in the latest bios update and only effected fans set to CPU

Basically the CPU temp was 20c out so 40c was 60c in reality so it looked like they weren't doing anything in windows, might be worth a check
Just had a look at the bios versions, I am one version out of date although no mention of that fix in the log but I'll stick it on anyway just in case.

Caporegime
OP
Newest BIOS update done and still the same :/

sXTO36D.png

It's not a massive issue as temps are good and case isn't stupidly loud but still annoying how this doesn't seem to be matching up with the low temps.

Soldato
Soldato
Try change to DC mode rather than PWM for the fans. I tried that, then it started behaving correctly with Argus Monitor on my MSI B450 Carbon (similar to the Tomahawk)

Caporegime
OP
When I switch to DC for the 2 akassa apache fans, they don't even show in HWinfo but they are running.... and look to be running at very low speeds :/

1NxDGh9.png

CPU fan still at mad RPM with DC though....

Soldato
ok . Ill put something in the mix. I use Dragon Centre on my MSI board and set a fan curve on the CPU fan and the Sys fans and it worked, did it shortly after building my pc.

How about trying to change them in Dragon Centre?

Back
Top Bottom