MSI Big Bang *Official* Motherboard thread (Lucid Hydra 200)

Associate
Ok well news seems to be popping up places so thought it best start a thread about what will be one of the most important gaming boards for some time.

What is Lucid Hydra 200?

Its a chip created by LucidLogix which allows the harmonious use of ATI and NVIDIA technologies in a single PC. Yes SLI and Crossfire. CrossSLI or SLIfire :D

Is there not more?

This the partnership between MSI and Lucid technology also allows miss-matched speed cards to be used together. I.e. have an old 9800GT in your cupboard from when you got your 285 GTX? Slap it in and get the extra juice. Not only that, if its a 9800 Pro (ATI) that would work too!

What is MSI Big Bang?

This is the first motherboard to use this technology, allowing gamers everywhere to have more flexibility on the hardware setup they use in systems

This can't be true? Show me images I need proof?

Taken from Anantech article:

lucidchip.jpg

hydrasetup.jpg

nvati.jpg

nvati2.jpg

Associate
OP
Not so bad if you got cards gathring dust from previous setups maybe, but I always like to have the best single gpu card available to me.

This is more aimed for those that would usually run a SLI or crossfire rig.

I dont have any problems in any game running at 1920x1200 so dont really see the point in this from a personal view.

Agreed, but similar argument to saying what is the point in SLI (which is a fair point), but his is aimed at the customer that would benefit from the extra flexibility.

Will be interesting to see how much juice in terms of watts this will use.

No reason that it should use any more than a typical dual card setup. The Lucid chip will likely use <10W which will be negligible with a couple of cards in there.

Associate
OP
I can't really see the point in this tbh other than the bonus that it breaks Nvidia's monopoly on SLI licensing.

I also predict that this will get 'broken' by a driver release down the road from either Nvidia or ATI...

Increased efficiency on SLI / crossfire (which currently is poor) is a benefit for nvidia / amd so don't be so sure they will be against it :eek:

Associate
OP
Just heard the Big Bang is rumoured to have a THX certified sound processor, the first of its kind on a motherboard. I will post any news when I get it!

Associate
OP
New press release on Big Bang Released today:

http://uk.msi.com/news.php?news_no=4

'After the worldwide success of the award winning MSI P55-GD80 and P55-GD65 motherboards, MSI today announces its new gaming motherboard: Big Bang. In conjunction with THX and Creative, MSI is the first ever to implement THX TruStudio PC™ with Creative EAX® ADVANCED HD™ 5.0 audio technology. Big Bang delivers the most powerful and realistic gaming audio performance available from any motherboard!'

logos.jpg

Back
Top Bottom