*****MSI Gaming Laptops - Stock Secured, get your XMAS Orders in NOW!*****

Associate
have placed my order for the gx660r should arrive today but i think with the weather having changed to a snow storm outside i guess it will be late,

just want to ask the people that have change to a i7 core which one did you go for?, did you need to update the bios or the cooler?

is there a windows 7 dvd included? if not can i download it from microsoft or do i have to purchase one, only ask as i am changing harddrive to ssd

Associate
I put the I7 940XM in mine. Straight swap, no bios update needed and runs fine. Temps go high at 100% load but they never hit the throttle limit (although I recommend using good thermal paste for cpu and gpu.) I also recommend getting a 180w or greater universal laptop PSU (I have the targus) if going for this cpu as it chews wattage.

There is a recovery disc included which I have not used. I would assume it holds an MSI OEM rigged version of Windows 7 which includes all the bloatware and b0llocks most people dont really want.

Download win7 64bit from a torrent or wherever and use the CD key found inside the battery compartment for a fresh install. Much nicer than the recovery version.

Associate
I put the I7 940XM in mine. Straight swap, no bios update needed and runs fine. Temps go high at 100% load but they never hit the throttle limit (although I recommend using good thermal paste for cpu and gpu.) I also recommend getting a 180w or greater universal laptop PSU (I have the targus) if going for this cpu as it chews wattage.

There is a recovery disc included which I have not used. I would assume it holds an MSI OEM rigged version of Windows 7 which includes all the bloatware and b0llocks most people dont really want.

Download win7 64bit from a torrent or wherever and use the CD key found inside the battery compartment for a fresh install. Much nicer than the recovery version.

hi

and thanks for the fast reply, i was thinking more of the i7-740qm but might think bigger now that i know it will take the I7 940XM

ordered yesterday at £899.99 todays price £999.00
how lucky am i

Associate
My gx660r arrived this evening by DPD, along with a load other goodies i ordered with it, new mouse,mouse mat, headset, etc etc etc, will report back in this thread once iv had a chance to use the machine, and leave my thoughts on the general quality and performance of the unit.

Just had to add also, fantastic service from OCuk i have bought from them time and time again, and they never fail to impress, their sales team are excellent, and i was given the reduced price of the unit even though i had purchased it earlier when it was a little more expensive, hats of to them and to DPD, keep up the good work and ill keep my custom right here. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Mine came last week and have only started using it today. Did a fresh install and everything is running really well.

Gaming performance is spot on so far (granted only TF2, WoW & Minecraft).

My quesiton for other people since I am being paranoid is about the fan, it seems quite high pitched, I wouldnt go as far as saying screeching but still enough for me to notice it.

Anyone got any info on how their fan sounds?

Possible just worrying a bit too much

Associate
How are people finding fan noise on the 660? is it loud/acceptable? hard to find a good answer

I think the fan is actually very quiet under normal gaming, it's only if you stick on turbo mode or play with the fan speed manually that it can be heard. If you've got any sound on you pretty much can't hear the fan whilst playing normal games (minus the bits where your game is silent I guess...)

Associate
Fan only gets mad when the temps go really high. So stress testing, multithread apps, games that really tax the system etc.

I dont get any high pitched noise from mine. You might want to grease the bearings in the fan and see if that helps out with this noise you're getting.

Associate
not very happy with DPD deliverys, picked on the 15th with next day delivery
now there web site says (DPD DELIVERIES TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED IN SCOTLAND, NEWCASTLE and YORK.) and its still located at hub3 god only knows where that is, can they not at least put a place name rather than hub3

Associate
Just got mine today, very impressed so far, it has the Hitachi HDDs instead of the other ones, not sure how to check if theyre the 7,200 versions though.

Found a link to download some additional drivers for the touchpad, means you can make it a bit more sensitive as before hand it was rather sluggish!

Fans arent too whiney at all, it is noisey when you turn the super fans on but theyre only doing their job! Wont matter so much if youre playing a game with the sound on.

Associate
Am I missing something? I've unscrewed the back of the laptop and can only seem to see one hard drive next to the battery area. Where is the second hard drive concealed, is it hidden under more screwed down plastic?

Associate
Yep they are 5,400 rpm, even though the hanging issue is sorted theyre still slow!

Whats the easiest way to resintall win7 as mine didnt come with a win 7 disk, is it just on the recovery disk? Im going to get a SSD to run windows from and use one of the 500gbs as storage.

Associate
I did a fresh install, I got some issues with freezing. I am using the pre-installed OS that came with it. It's all good now for me. Uninstall that norton and so on.

NOTE: Make recovery discs (*3) before you do any fresh install.

Upgrading 7200 RPM HD will make a difference rather than Raid.
Raid is fast we all know but don't do the raid, if something goes wrong, you can kiss goodbye to your files.

Associate
I did a fresh install, I got some issues with freezing. I am using the pre-installed OS that came with it. It's all good now for me. Uninstall that norton and so on.

NOTE: Make recovery discs (*3) before you do any fresh install.

Upgrading 7200 RPM HD will make a difference rather than Raid.
Raid is fast we all know but don't do the raid, if something goes wrong, you can kiss goodbye to your files.

Cheers, Ive just won a 64gb SSD drive off ebay and have ordered a 500gb 7,200 WD Scorpio Black for my storage.

Think I'll stick one 500gb Hitachi in my old laptop and maybe sell the other on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom