*****MSI Gaming Laptops - Stock Secured, get your XMAS Orders in NOW!*****

Associate
The pictures of the laptop don't do it justice, must admit the pictures really put me off before I bought, it looked really tacky but first hand it looks great.

As for the screen, the viewing angles are poor but so was my Acer 6920g so no difference there for me. Once you hit the sweet spot the screen is bright and vibrant with no complaints here :p

Hi mate. I currently own the 6920G. Would be interested in your thoughts as to how it compares to the MSI 660?

Cheers

Associate
I have the GX660r

How can i cool my Graphics card down?
I'm playing Lord of the rings online and my card is sitting around 72-75c is this ok for the laptop?
The CPU sits around 56-60c so thats ok when im playing

The CPU when not playing games sits around 40-46c
The Graphics card when not playing games sits around 58-62c

Should i buy one of these?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SY-005-AK&groupid=959&catid=1843&subcat=

or is there away i can sort this out using a program?

Thanks
Rob

Associate
Hi mate. I currently own the 6920G. Would be interested in your thoughts as to how it compares to the MSI 660?

Cheers

No problem mate, the GX660 is obviously superior to the 6920g in everyway but here are my thoughts anyway.

The screen is a lot brighter and vibrant than the 6920, I find on times having to turn the screen brightness down a few notches. Viewing angles are no worse than the 6920 imho, once you get the correct angle all is good.

The difference of 16" compared to the 15.6 is not noticeable.

It did take me a while to get used to the HD screen with icons and text being very small which I find does tend to take it's strain on my eyes!!!
The only thing I don't like is the screen lid is a lot more flimsy than the more solid 6920 lid.

Sound on the 6920 was good but the GX660 takes it a step further. The sound is a lot better with a more balanced sound range with a more grunt from the subwoofer. It won't replace standalone speakers but is more than suitable to listen to. If you like the 6920 sound then this will blow you away.

No need to state how good the graphics card is...have been playing Black Ops on native resolution with high settings with no problems what so ever. It makes such a difference after playing games on the 6920 with it's Nvidia 9500card.

Build quality is on par with the Acer which I though was very well built no matter what the haters say about Acers being cheap and nasty.

The look of the GX660 is a lot better in the flesh than they cheesy promo photos with flashing lights and all.

The dvd writer is actually a decent LG model and not the terrible TSST drive that came with the 6920 which I proceeded to replace.

The only downside I found was the slower hard drives that were fitted (5400rpm) but I replaced these with a spare WD Black 7200rpm and a Seagate Momentus 7200rpm.

Overall am very happy with my purchase and as other have said nothing comes close at this price point...go for it ;).

Any specific question feel free to ask...

Associate
I have the GX660r

How can i cool my Graphics card down?
I'm playing Lord of the rings online and my card is sitting around 72-75c is this ok for the laptop?
The CPU sits around 56-60c so thats ok when im playing

The CPU when not playing games sits around 40-46c
The Graphics card when not playing games sits around 58-62c

Should i buy one of these?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SY-005-AK&groupid=959&catid=1843&subcat=

or is there away i can sort this out using a program?

Thanks
Rob

I was slightly worried about my temps compared to my previous laptop but from your temps I assume there's nothing to worry about. Your CPU temps are similar with mine both game playing and idle around 70c (gaming) and 40c (idle)...

OcUK Staff
OP
Associate
Switched my order over to the GX660R for the extra ram and blu-ray, it may seem like quite a bit extra, however it is piece of mind for me as I don't have to worry about upgrading them myself now.

Not to mention the fact it will be arriving tomorrow! =)

Associate
for some games yeah, but not that high a res. Need good speed on fps etc.. which i can do by lowering the res but its not gonna look good.

You'll get good fps on the native 1920x1080 res for 90% of games on high detail settings, and on the other 10% just lower the detail to medium and you'll be fine.

Associate
I don't think I have ever come across a computer or laptop that allowed me to lower the resolution without still looking good. You have to remember that when you are looking at something really good, and then go back to something else, it will never compare. You can't go against logic I'm afraid.

On another note, what everyone else is saying you should take into account, the human eye can only distinguish up to a certain number of frames per second, and trust me, when looking at the quality of a game on high settings with HD resolution while still maintaining fluid frame rates, its not going to matter that you don't have those extra frames because your brain can only process so much.

If its that much of a dissapointment then I think you know the only answer, this isn't going to be the laptop for you, but I wish you luck finding one with such a high spec that won't also come with a high resolutation to back it up. Your asking for a pure bred race horse that you don't want to use in top racing tournaments. Overkill.

Associate
Thats an awful lot extra.

My purchase of the gx740 is looking better as the days go on

£849 for the laptop

sold ram for £65

Bought 8gb for £98.97

sold dvd drive for £30

Sony Blue-Ray writer £111

Total price £964.58

Only thing im missing is the 1080 screen which I could not care about.

Soldato
On another note, what everyone else is saying you should take into account, the human eye can only distinguish up to a certain number of frames per second, and trust me, when looking at the quality of a game on high settings with HD resolution while still maintaining fluid frame rates, its not going to matter that you don't have those extra frames because your brain can only process so much.

If its that much of a dissapointment then I think you know the only answer, this isn't going to be the laptop for you, but I wish you luck finding one with such a high spec that won't also come with a high resolutation to back it up. Your asking for a pure bred race horse that you don't want to use in top racing tournaments. Overkill.

People notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps, the reason i want a lower resolution is to keep the framerate over 30 and nearer 60 as often as possible. Keeping at such a high resolution is not going to do that, i know you can lower details of the game but lowering the resolution would help more towards speed.

I don't think it's really overkill, we should have the option to play upcoming games at good speeds & details without having to sacrifice quality just because of lcd limitations.. that is why i just think it would be better if the native resolution was lower than it is.

Back
Top Bottom