MSI GE72MVR Apache Pro

Associate
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop (for Crysis, CoD, Doom, Battfield One etc) that can also be used by the kids for school work.

My budget is £1,800(max) and ideally I'd like something with a 17" display, NVME SSD and GTX1079.

I like the look of the MSI Apache but have heard that it tends to overheat and has poor build quality. I'd appreciate the views of someone that owns this or a similar product (such as the Dominator Pro).

Alternatively, if anyone has any recommendations on any other solid gaming laptops within the target budget I love to hear them. I've been looking for weeks and considering the amount I'll be spending I need to ensure it's relatively robust and future proof (at least 3 years of mid/high level set gaming).

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
MiSJAH, thanks for the response and I've read the thread referenced and I totally understand the feelings resonating through the thread. Taking aside that issue, how did you find the system prior to that incident?

Vargas, thanks for the comment concerning the Alienware Outlet. I'd love one and did look at Alienware previously, however the 8GB ram is too low and the upgrade prices on a new model are excessive and they seem to have gone out of their way to make it incredibly difficult to install upgrades. There are some great deals on there but if I'm honest and based on my luck previously I'm nervous about spending that kind of money for a scratch and dent or recertified product.

Associate
They make good notebooks, but I cannot recommend purchasing.

There may be a time when you need support/service and MSI fail continuously with that.

#ANYTHINGBUTMSI!

Associate
OP
That's a real shame as they do look very impressive with only the Alienware having a similar design, but as I've mentioned they are out of my price range.

May take a look at the new HP Omen 17 with the GTX1070. But struggling to find anything that meets my price and specs. May have to compromise on something, I did look at the Asus ROG G752VS which has impressive specs but the size of it really puts me off as the kids (8yrs and 11yrs) need to use it and I can't imagine them being able to handle it easily.

Others in price range either have a low hz rate monitor or no "g sync", which again makes me nervous on a gaming front.

Associate
In your situation I'd go for an Alienware with 1070 from the outlet. You should easily find one well under £1,800.

An overclocked 1070 with decent cooling (and a nice repaste) will happily compete with a laptop with a stock 1080.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I may be overly cautious but I'm wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on something that has been returned and could have some damage to the case etc and the new prices are too steep for me. The search goes on....

Soldato
There's an Alienware 15 on the dell outlet.

Think it comes to £1639 and has a 7820hk/1070/16gb ram/120mhz 400nits display/256gb ssd and 1tb hdd. It's certified refurbished. Great price that to be honest and you get 1 years on site warranty.

Back
Top Bottom