Associate
Hi everyone. Been having some difficulty choosing a new laptop to play World of Warcraft and other games on, and most of you will have a more knowledge based opinion than me - so I'm putting it to the pros!

I'm moving in with gf so not enough room for my computer, 2 desks and 3 screens. Regrettably having to downsize to a laptop. I only have a budget of around £1000 (€1150 / $1300) but could stretch it slightly if it meant a big difference. Apart from the technical specs it's important to me that the keyboard is good quality and comfortable after being used to having a very large mechanical switch keyboard. I also prefer 17.3" screen as I hate the smaller interface on wow on smaller screens and am used to playing on 24" monitors.

80% of the time I'll be playing wow, so I know both of these will be fine running it on ultra, but 20% of the time I'll be playing more intensive games like R6 Siege, Destiny 2, etc.

Please comment on what you feel will be better suited to me, or even if there is an alternative for similar price that's available in the U.K. I don't know how good the screens are on either of these as many websites tend not to even mention if they are IPS, LCD or LED screens.

Here are the options:

MSI Leopard GP72 7RD-015 UK 17.3"

i7-7700hq 2.8ghz processor
Nvidia gtx 1050 2gb graphics
16 gb ram
1tb + 128gb ssd memory

+/- : good processor but only 2gb graphics

Asus ROG GL753VD 17.3"

i5-7300hq 2.5ghz
Nvidia gtx 1050 4gb graphics
12gb ram
1tb + 128gb ssd memory

+/-: older processor but full 4gb graphics card.

Thanks so much in advance for any opinions or alternatives you can suggest!

** No Competitors **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
You could possibly pick up an alienware 15 r3 on the dell outlet with a 7700hq/6700 with a 1060. Should be around the 1100 mark of you can stretch to that.

Associate
Sorry to hear you have to downgrade to a laptop, but the choices you made aren't bad.

I will however say that if you're looking at the ASUS ROG though, I've got the G752VS (unboxing here: https://youtu.be/HnOzlJU2xzA). It's a complete beast, and is absolutely amazing. Runs an i7 processor, and it's got the GTX 1070 instead of the 1050.

I'm not gonna mention the price though, but what I will say is that if you can't upgrade back to your desktop set up anytime soon, future proofing yourself with a really good laptop will serve you much better.

Associate
OP
Sorry to hear you have to downgrade to a laptop, but the choices you made aren't bad.

I will however say that if you're looking at the ASUS ROG though, I've got the G752VS (unboxing here: https://youtu.be/HnOzlJU2xzA). It's a complete beast, and is absolutely amazing. Runs an i7 processor, and it's got the GTX 1070 instead of the 1050.

I'm not gonna mention the price though, but what I will say is that if you can't upgrade back to your desktop set up anytime soon, future proofing yourself with a really good laptop will serve you much better.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, not sure I can stretch to that though! I've had bad experiences with laptops before only lasting a couple of years or so because of build quality so I'm not overly worried about future proofing for the next 5+ years. Out of the 2 that I've been looking at, what would you say is a better option for higher intensity games?

Associate
OP
Associate
Thanks for the tip. I see you shop a lot on OC, what's your opinion on Gigabyte Sabre? I've seen this one :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...-intel-i7-7700hq-gaming-laptop-lt-08f-gi.html

Seems to have the best of all specs that I can expect to find at a reasonable of £1099, being 17.3", 1050ti 4gb, i7-7700hq, IPS screen etc. But don't see these laptops anywhere else. I'm a noob please excuse me!

I love ocuk. It's my mainstay for tech.

Gigabyte/AORUS make fantastic notebooks. And UK support is above the rest - @Atom80 is gigabyte rep on these forums.

Have a chat with Atom80 and see what he recommends for your budget.

Associate
OP
I love ocuk. It's my mainstay for tech.

Gigabyte/AORUS make fantastic notebooks. And UK support is above the rest - @Atom80 is gigabyte rep on these forums.

Have a chat with Atom80 and see what he recommends for your budget.

Excellent thank you, I'm perfectly happy to shop for 'lesser known' brands providing the build quality and support is good. I'm presuming that since you tagged him he should see this thread? If not I'll try to find a way to contact directly. It's a little hard navigating forums on my phone as I'm currently running off a wifi connection powered by hamsters on vacation in China.

Associate
Thanks for the reply, not sure I can stretch to that though! I've had bad experiences with laptops before only lasting a couple of years or so because of build quality so I'm not overly worried about future proofing for the next 5+ years. Out of the 2 that I've been looking at, what would you say is a better option for higher intensity games?

ASUS all the way. If you can, I'd try to get an i7 processor in it, but the i5 is still pretty good. RAM goes a long way in anything you put your computer through though, which is why I'd say the ASUS.

I hear you about worrying about future proofing with a laptop though, but I will say I had an HP laptop for a good....5 years before I got my current ASUS. I did only use it as a student though, so lab reports, experimental data, research, Facebook, watching movies and TV shows type thing. My brother had a Toshiba for 6 years also as a student, but he did architecture so he had a crap ton of programs on it that were reasonably intensive on the hardware. The only reason it was 6 years was cause it went flying off the roof of a friends car XD, . Last, my bf currently still uses the MSI Barebones we built 3 years ago for him and it's still running pretty damn well. So, just goes to show if you take care if it, it can last ^_^

Caporegime
For the £1,000 mark I'd be looking to pick up an Alienware from the Dell outlet. You'll easily find a 6GB GTX 1060 and probably even a 1070 for £1000 - £1,200. The 1050 in your first two picks is already underpowered so in a year or so it really will struggle to play more modern titles at acceptable frame rates at 1920x1080

Back
Top Bottom